Need to find a good place to buy pitch???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Feb 3, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok since I cannot find a recipe for hoe much soap to mix with how much water for tube bending I need to find some pitch. I know I can get roofing tar at Local Home Depo but I understand pitch is prefered. So any idea's???? I am not useing lead even though I have lead on hand and the means to melt it. I do not like to work heavy metals any more then I have to especialy for something my kid will latter be handleing! So no recomendations for useing hot lead!!LOL

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    What are we bending?

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    A trumpet bell!!

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Use Murphy's Oil soap and water. That is what they use in some factories.
    You can buy pitch from Ferree's

5. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    How are you looking to bend the bell?

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well I know about Murphys Oil soap from some photo's of the Zues factory but I do not know how much soap to use with how much water. Thanks for the tip about Ferree's since I just got my catalog from them a few day's ago. I have only glanced at it though. They are only about 60-90 minute drive from my house so I am going to go up their and check the shop out and pick their brains. I would love to take a workshop on brass repair. Their is aclass I think starting soon I think in Ilonoise that is a how to on e building a natural trumpet useing just simple tools like an anviel,hammer's and a few specialty tools that I would love to take. I am thinking pitch is probably the safest bet for a first time job. I have bent break tubeing and hydralic lines in factories but it was normaly seemless heat treated stainless steel or it was copper and in either case the final appearance was not an issue. What I mean to say is that it did not have to be pleaseing to the eye it just had to fix the machinery so that they could churn out some more car's!!!LOL

I just got a new toy so I probably have a month now before I get everything together. I have an old partialy crushed bell I might try practiceing on some. Not to really master anything just to get the feel in my hands of what it feels like with the pitch in side. I have some bells comeing for my inspection. If I like what I see I can then order what I want when I want. I am going to take photo's as I do this project so when I am done with it I will share all the photo's in stages. First I am going to change the bell and see how it sounds and then depending on that I might also change the leadpipe. I learned early on when working on things to make one modification at a time and then see what happens. When you do too much at once if you are not happy then you do not always know what is causeing the problem!

I do not want to let too many things out of the bag this way they will be a suprise. I am going to start small. So I am not going to do any heavy braceing at first. I want to do one thing at a time. If all goes well though I would like to do some heavy braceing and artistic stuff. Then when I am all done cleanit up and send it out to be silver plated. I like how much better silver horns age in terms of not being prone to red-rot and such.

Right now I am working on locateing a non-contact thermomater. I can not find mine since I moved. I am sure it is out in the pole barn some place in a box. I am going to ask a friend if I can borrow his. I am going to anneal a Brass Bell on a student trumpet I have been working on. I do not want to risk crystalizeing the brass. So I can either heat it to 668°F for 15 minutes or Heat it to 750°F for just a few seconds. If you go past 850°F you can run into some serious problems fast if you keep it their too long and by 950°F you have preety much ruined the brass.

I have been anealing my cartridge brass for competition shooting for year's. So I have a good idea of what I am doing but have never tried to get the shear volume of surface area that a trumpet bell represents up to temp and evevly heated. I am hopeing to add new life to this Holton T602 with out a bell swap. I am going to anneal it and it's leadpipe and reassemble it. I have already scratch brushed it but am considering sandblasting it to make it even more matt. This is my boys trumpet and it had serious finish issues and it had some reed-rot on the leadpipe. Since he has been playing my Silver Holton I have not been to concerned about the T602. I was going to put a Red Brass Holton bell that was taken off a trumpet that could not be saved. Since their is nothing wrong with his bell really I decided to try annealing it before replacement.

I am also working on my own scratch built synthetic oil for my trumpets and few friends. Since I am still looking for a decent job I have all this time on my hands and I have way too many projects on going. Only a couple are trumpet related though! I am very excited I ca not wait to bend my own bell. I just hope I do not get a tear or anything my first time out!!!

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I am makeing a simple jig out of wood shaped like the contour I need. I am useing a locating pin in my heavy work bench to keep the tail in contact with the jig. I am going to form it by hand around the jig. then any wrinkles on the inside radius I will gently hammer out.