Need to solve reding problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Oct 5, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi, when I started learning tpt, I learned C notes. So my C was actually 1,3 and not all open.

So now when i see written #F it is 2,3 to me instead of 2

and so on.

Basically I have to learn bB notes now, because I have tons of sheet music that I have to perform since I joined an orchestra, and everything is written in bB

I suppose I should re.learn the fingerings, instead of instant transposing? what do you think

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    You are basically relearning the fingerings... In a way I guess that's instant transposing but... since there's no transposing actually going on... Maybe you should get a trumpet in A-flat and use your C fingerings ;)

3. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    well actualyl I was thinking of pulling my main slide out so my bB would become bA

so what do you think this relearnin process should last, a week?

will it affect my C fingering (it is fault but I have a lot of realbooks for C instrument) so I need that fingering too

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This probably isn't the best idea. Think of the main slide as something that does "fine tuning" if you're a little sharp or a little flat. The trumpet will no longer be in tune with itself if you pull the main slide out really far, so you'd likely have to use your lip and adjust every note you play.

Well, it might take longer than a week, but like most things, practice will get you there.

In my opinion it's important to be able to read (and play) both Bb and C charts, so this is a great way for you to do that.

Most people start with Bb and then learn to read C...you're just doing it in the reverse order.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You're a good piano player so you are pretty fluent in reading. What you did, compared to a regular trumpet player was transposing up one tone. Now you have the problem of playing stuff written specifically for the Bb instruments as it is supposed to be played, i.e. one tone lower than written. You can learn to transpose down one tone by mentally sustituting the appropriate C clef to the 2nd line G clef.