Need you help for getting to high C from F

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Sep 28, 2012.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I'm going to ask you for the impossible but please take my question seriously. I need your help in teaching myself to get from the F on the top line to the high C. I know that's not just G, A, B, C, it's all the notes in between but I want to think about it as only four notes (which is incorrect but please bear with me).

Anyway, I just posted in another fresh self-study thread about my experience. Over the course of two years I studied trumpet on my own on and off. I now can hit the F on top of the stuff. I don't push myself, I use minimal MP pressure and I try to play relaxed as much as possible.

I don't remember how I got to F on the top line though I remember hardly hitting the middle G two years ago but also I don't remember what was in between. I remember that I tried to reach a little higher from time to time, when I felt it was possible. I don't know how I determined the exact moment but it worked... so far.

Now, when I got to the top line F about two months ago my progress stopped. It feels like I can play the F (not always in a stable relaxed manner but it comes out) but it feels like the G on top of the stuff is in another dimention. I've been trying to find the new moment to go for the G and every time I've been trying it over the course of last two months I failed.

I play D-F - it works, I try to play E-G and it simply locks up on G.

Any advice including 'find yourself a teacher' is appreciated :-)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

You answered your own question.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Get a teacher, then diligently practice what they show you..
    you are wasting your time on your own... Seriously, two years and can't play a G?
    that is not a rip... Just sayin'...

a teacher can really speed up your progress.

to answer your question about playing F to high C:
    try soft, slow chromatics. Clarke #1. Go up a half step at a time. Soft and slow!

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Have your horn looked at also, to make sure it is in good working condition.

5. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Just for my understanding: if I were the most pathetic trumpet player in the world would not playing the G after two years be a norm?
    I'm just trying to figure out what IS the norm. I have no connection with the trumpet players or students so I'm really clueless.
    How soon woud you expect an average student to get to G on top of the line and how long to get to the high C provided they had an average trumpet teacher?

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Growth is a personal thing on trumpet. It can vary widely depending on the person. What I think others are thinking is that you may have some habits going on that are preventing you from your growth. A teacher will be able to spot these and set you on the right path. It is common for people to develop habits that are negative to their own growth on the trumpet when they have no instruction or others to play along with. It’s only a 7 foot long brass tube, but there are TONS of variables when it comes to making sound come out the other end. Hang in there and remember, relax, enjoy what you are doing on the horn……try to make it sound good...like you are singing.

7. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I agree with you. It's nearly the same comment that I left an hour ago in another thread of a new potential self-teacher.
    I'm a very reserved person and it's generally difficult for me to find an appropriate teacher. Besides here in our area in the Eastern Europe it's difficult to find one. I can stretch and try but I also have a tight work schedule and I don't work in the music business realted field.
    I generally have from half an hour to 1 and a half hour to practice in the evening after work.

8. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I may try to help you my friends in giving me an advice. Since we already talk here is my guess what I maybe doing wrong.

I generally think of 'reaching the next note'. I don't usually practice staying on the note I've reached. Should I do more long tones on the notes that I already own? For instace, I can hit the middle C quite easily and can hold a long tone on it decently. For all the above notes including the top line F I can use them in a piece (I usually play the heads of standards - that's what I like most in my music world) as maybe half notes but I've never tried to use them as long tones. Maybe I can hold the top space E as a long tone but not as long as the middle C.

Should I pay more attention to long tones on higher notes?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    yes

you gotta get someone to look at your chops to see what you are doing. If you can't play an E as long as you can play a C (after TWO YEARS!!) then something is wrong. You either are not practicing at all, or doing something crazy with your chops.

There is no "norm" as timelines go. the trumpet is a very individual instrument. equipment varies alot, dental infrastructure, lip types, talent/aptitude... and on and on.

what is worse than taking two years and not being able to play a G??

playing for two years by yourself, and then finding out you are doing something completely wrong and you could have saved 18 months.

watch ALOT of youtube videos... there are some good lessons there. play in front of a mirror to see what you are doing. emulate a good setup.
    dont worry about trying to look effortless. People that look effortless when they play have put in alot of effort to get that way.

you can play pretty great with an off the wall embochure, so don't get hung up on perfection. put it in the middle, half and half top and bottom.
    and please put some air in the horn! Air is what makes the thing work. no air = no buzz. Try to buzz with no air. It is where it all starts. If you are having a problem the first thing to try is doing something to the air (more air, less air, upstream, downstream, more focused)...

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Living in the U.S. and in a fairly large metropolitan area I sometimes have to remind myself that the world does not mirror my resources. I understand that 1.) You are a hobbyist, and 2.) Face-to-face lessons are problematic due to teacher availability and time constraints. You obviously have access to a computer, however. perhaps a few lessons online via Skype or the like will clarify whether or not you are hindering your own progress. Just a suggestion.
    Good luck. It is not easy.