Need you help for getting to high C from F

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Sep 28, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Now stop the whining about all here that everybody should be able to play a G on the top of the staff in two years, it's too variable to say that. I could hit the G after 2.5 years, with an average teacher, and now I gig a couple of times a month, have a pro teacher found since a year, and can play a solid G above the G we're talking about.

It all just depends on the education you get, and the amount of practicing, if you try to teach yourself, especially in the beginning, there are unknown things to try to find out out of nowhere, therefore, especially when you start, find a teacher, it doesn't have to be a top level pro teacher, but any professional teacher will help significantly and they will let you know what and how to practise.

The main issue on this level is either a very bad habit or lack of air, try to breath from down below, take very deel breaths, and play with lots of air. And confidence, have you ever hit the G? So then why can't you hit it another time? Trumpet playing is a lot of a moral issue.

You're asking about time, well:

Self teaching:
    G: If you study right (how?) and a lot, I'ld say a couple of months
    High C: A couple of years.

With a teacher:
    G: Might be instantly, or in a few weeks
    High C: If you work hard, then in a year you will have a High C, squeky or solid.
    + you get of all your bad habits.

Summarized: If you want to make real progress, find a teacher, even if it's only for some months, and play with confidence and lots of air.

What horn do you play? Just interested.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Where exactly are you located? Perhaps it might be feasible to meet and discuss your problems in person... even find you a teacher.

3. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Thank you very much for your kind offer! Definitely far from Austria though :(.

4. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Thank you for your advice. Answering to your few questions.

I managed to hit the G and even the A couple times in the past, well maybe more than couple times actually. I was having sort of 'very good days' then in terms of trumpet playing but maybe not only limited to trumpet.

Air... well. I have a good air support inherited from my saxophone and clarinet playing. I know what the proper air support is and I can easily use it for dynamics.

I have a few horns I bought off the eBay in the past but I stick with the Reynolds Medalist, a student level cornet. I use it with the stock Reynolds MP which I assume is a copy of the 7C. Once a trumpet player came around and played it and he verified the cornet was OK. It was just a coincidence that I met that trumpet player. He was visiting my place briefly and he was a stranger to me (he just supported his son who came to buy a guitar I was selling).

I feel somehow that the main obstacle I'm having is concerned with my embouchure. I have an uneven upper lip shape that prevents me from forming an aperture that looks like aperture. My lower lip when pursed forms a concave shape but my upper lip has a convex part just in the middle. I once injured my upper lip in the past.
    I don't know how much that can influence my trumpet playing especially playing the higher notes.

5. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Ed, thanks for understanding and for the Skype advise. Yes, 'a hobbist and time constrains' are a great part of my development slow-down factors.

6. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Let me elaboarte on the above and see if you can comment and confirm or criticize my observation/conclusion.
    For the lower notes when the aperture is large enough not to be affected by the lip shape/irregularities my embouchure works well but once I try to get higher and the aperture naturally gets smaller that convex piece of the upper lip gets in the way of air stream and blocks the air.
    Can it be the case or at least contribute to my problem?

Regarding a teacher who could help me identify this as a problem. I looked through some offers in our area and found that there are a few teachers who are multi-instrumentalists and who offer instruction for instance in saxophone/oboe/trumpet but I doubt these people are proficient enough in one area to be able to work out the finer details. I noticed in the past such instructors are usually very inpatient and they often just force a student without addressing a problem first.

7. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Take a deep breath from below. Concentrate. Tighten your lips, like you do with putting force on a reed. Take the horn. Blow very fast but controlled. Probably some high note comes out easier. Oh, confidence confidence confidence ;).

About your lip problem, try to find a specific trumpet teacher, and for now do what fits you most and what feels right. Lots of players have odd embouchures.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    G or not to G - it doesn't mean much and after 2 years you are worrying about the wrong thing. Depends on how much and how well you practice. Play what you can and practice wisely and your range will grow. Get a good teacher and it will grow FASTER.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    GijsVis likes this.