needin' some knowlege before I blow hundreds of dollars

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Oct 4, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So, heres my situation, I have a birthday in a few weeks and chrismas later on, since im a poor band kid (sisters in guard) thats out of work I need to get a few Items. Therefore Im lucky to get my lessons car and everything else paid for etc, so in order to get what I need im having to ask from the sides of the family etc, and I cannot get something over $125, so What im looking for is a tuner and metronome at that price, any suggestions on those? and if you find it could you please post a link? Also Im looking at some ear training exercises, because I can hear when people are barely out of pitch and point out where you are in a cluster, but I cant hear if its sharp or flat if that makes sense? if theres anything under $50 Ill be happy. Though ive been thinking of investing in breathing gym, is that any good? Sorry I had to ask it, but thats what my limits are, like i said im doing fruit sales for our band so ill be able to go on our spring trip and pay alot off of my band account next year thats why im asking about the higher dollar stuff. I can give the funny story of how my metronomes and tuners broke, but yeah if you can give advice or a product that suits my needs then that'd be great! Thanks!

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
  3. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well I had those, but I want an upgrade

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    There is no need to upgrade. A tuner tunes, and a metronome keeps time.
    It is a waste of money to buy expensive tuners and metronomes.

I'd put the money into a savings account and buy something better down the road.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    If you need metronome for ensemble practice, you may want to get a louder metronome. Mr. Beat is loud but expensive.

Yamaha makes a less expensive one, that some people claim to use sucessfuly for that purpose:

[​IMG]

It is worth checking, but I never used one of these in such situation, so try before you buy. Otherwise as DCI stated, no need to upgrade.

Oups...thread was about tuners. Nevermind the tuners. You can use any. Some reacts faster than others, you can tune even without one - use your ears and anything that lies between them. Tuner can be useful in your practice room though. No need to upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

What are the standard tuners and metronomes missing that you're looking for?

7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If you mean by what am I looking for? Im looking for a good quality tuner that will tune within 1 cent and mainly a metronome that will subdivide and will have it to where I can tap a rythemn but it is cheaper than a Dr. Beat.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
  9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Most digital metronomes subdivides. Korg's one is a good example and it isn't expensive. For practice room I use an Yamaha tuner, but korg does one which is quite good. Korg makes also a combo:

[​IMG]

which is not very loud as a metronome, but does the job. Goes for about 25-30$ in worst case. So you can get both metronome and tuner in one for that price. If I needed one, I would get that. Good value for the money and less little gadget boxes flying around in your trumpet case.

10. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Korg OT120 Chromatic Orchestral Tuner - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Tuners & Metronomes at WWBW
    Korg Beatlab Digital Metronome - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Tuners & Metronomes at WWBW
    Woodwind & Brasswind The Tuning CD Chromatic Ear Training System - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Tuners & Metronomes at WWBW
    this is what ive been looking at, the tuner im thinking about going to a lower model like yall have said, but the metronome looked fine to me, cheaper than the Dr. Beats (overpriced anyways) but the ear training cd I know nothing about, because I need one and it seems ok, sorry if I sound hard headed on this topic.:play: