needing advices for play prana mpc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beppe, Jul 14, 2006.

1. beppe

beppe New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    I've recently received my new Prana mpc and it's a really beatyful piece!! I haven't problems with range or staccato, but I have another problem:
    My sound is not focused at pp, p and mp volumes, it's not clean!! It's about 60% sound and 40% air noise..

Anyone can help me in understanding the reasons (never experienced with other mpcs) and finding solutions??

Thanks a lot. Beppe

PS: sorry about my english

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Caro amico, Beppe,

What you are experiencing is what some who try the Prana for the first time experience. It is short, as you know, and has a very thin shank. This exposes any kind of weakness of the embouchure where the vibrations are not full and rich.

Here is my advice: buzz the mouthpiece when you start to practice beginning in the middle register (sol or si bemol for example) and use the vibrato. Play a comfortable dynamic and play an easy melody. If you have your stomach tight instead of flexible, your sound will get fuzzier and have the air noise you don't like. Stay loose but keep the vibrations rich. The better you get at rich vibrations on the mouthpiece, the more you'll notice the problem going away. Gradually, practice with vibrato at the softer dynamics.

You see, a longer mouthpiece stem like conventional mouthpieces will make the buzz easier but the sound will be different. Personally, I like the clarity of the Prana.

Arrivederci!

ML

3. beppe

beppe New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    "If you have your stomach tight instead of flexible"????

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, Beppe,

The stomach needs to be loose so that in can move as the lungs fill up and shrink as you get rid of the air.

It's like when you sneeze. You fill up your body and then quickly get rid of all that air you took in. If you tried to hold your stomach tight when you sneezed it would be uncomfortable, unnatural, and painful.

It's a natural process and we need to make playing the trumpet as natural as it can be.

ML

5. beppe

beppe New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    Thanks a lot!!!
    I'll try in the next weeks!!
    CIAO

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As to air in the sound, whether PRANA or not, using more air will often fix the sound.

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's a good point, Jerry, but Beppe was apeaking specifically about playing softly. Now, what I think you're saying is that if the air is well-focused in all dynamics the airiness becomes less because the lip is vibrating efficiently.

If an embouchure is not complete through the surface of the mouthpiece, if there are, for lack of a better term, "holes" in the embouchure there will be holes in the sound. Some holes may be very tiny and others big. This is why I advocate also thinking of the embouchure in terms of having four points of contact, like a cross or a plus sign. Many of us tend to think of the upper and lower contact points of the embouchure and I like to add to that the sides. If you say TEE you'll feel your corners pull away from the center of the embouchure. If you say TU or TOH the corners come more to the center, see?

So, that's what I meant by "well-focused". It's hard to maintain that but well worth it as the results are often better consistency of sound.

Be well,

ML

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I had the same problem with focusing the sound.
    I would recommend trying the pencil exercise for a week to tightne up the corners of the embouchre.
    Also buzzing will help.
    I use a berp as a way of warming up or instead of a practice mute for warming up at concerts.

My experience of switching to the prana was very frustrating for the first few weeks. Then when it all kicked in I knew it was worth it.
    You need to stick at it.

keep the faith!

9. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Beppe...probably a long shot...(and I'm certain the others who have commented here are correct)...but is there a difference between what you're hearing from behind the horn versus what others hear in front of it? I had the same feeling when I made the switch. Dean (at Monette) suggested doing a recording/or asking others to listen...and the effect was not as pronounced (in fact it wasn't there at all) in the hall. Just some additional perspective.

Dave Brown

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    This is also true.
    When I hear myself in a big hall I sound much better than in the dead acoustincs of my practice room.