Nephew with braces want's to start playing horn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Jul 6, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    He seems interested...I don't have the professional skills or expert knowledge to give him very good lessons. My goal is to have him playing the basic scale before he starts school. His motivation is to get in the horn section so he can ogle the sax player. The funny thing is his little sister of six years old was able to squeak a few high notes for longer than a few seconds.

The good news is we'll be selling his clarinet that he never used. He switched to percussion but the sax player he adores will only be in close proximity if he plays trumpet :)

I'll get him playing hot cross buns...I have a wedge mouthpiece he can use...but he likes the Vocabell cornet more than my trumpet. I know the horn to get him is the Besson 609...best student horn ever...even better than the Olds Ambassador.

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Hmmm, I have not heard of the trumpet as the way to get girls. I thought it was guitar.

C Good for him, but I would not start him on a wedge. Just get a regular Bach 7C or 5C. If he goes wedge he will always stay with that feel and that just kills his possibilities to change brands easily. But that is just my thought. Best of luck to him!

3. BustedChops

Oct 1, 2011
    I don't have a bach 7 or 5...I do have a super shallow bobby shew...That will probably drive his new band teacher nuts :) The old teacher left the kids high and dry for a better paying job in the big city. The kid's are going to miss her.

I'll get him playing something by the end of summer.

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Maybe you can find someone here that has a mouthpiece that would be better then a wedge. But, that is just my opinion and since this is a forum it will not be long for someone to say a wedge is the best thing you can start on.

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Hilarious!!! ROFL

6. BustedChops

Oct 1, 2011
    She's a cute girl...and she actually has a brain...so I hope I can get him inspired to practice some music with her...Starting trumpet at puberty...now there is real growth.

I do think he'd have more fun playing trumpet than percussion. His band is small and needs horns. Fortunately for him there is a volunteer trumpet coach who really works hard for the community. I wasn't so lucky when I was in band. My teacher was a recovering alcoholic with a bad temper.

7. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    I had braces for 3years. Pain in the behind I tell you. thing is, with a deeper mouthpiece i found my lip cut a lot more often. I play on a bach 3C normally but this still caused the brace to cut into my lip. I had a very shallow mouthpiece come with a trumpet I got and decided there was no harm in trying it. Turned out, it was more comfortable and i could play for longer with it (I know that is part of the idea and may be obvious but yeah :p ) The only issue is the tone but, what can you do? Braces are the devil for trumpet.

I should warn you though, after he gets them out, he will be back to the beginning with regards to his range. I could play a D above stave with them on then, the day i got them off, could hardly play a C on stave. Its demoralizing as hell but, you do get there after a while (lots of long low notes! ). Just thought I should warn you. Just keep him motivated :)

Good luck to him and you!

Harvey

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sometimes there are girls with braces too .....

[​IMG]

9. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Hey Busted,
    I use a Greg Black BP trumpet mouthpiece, it was designed by him for people with braces but I use it because I love it! It has an I.D of 16.7mm, it has a cushion rim and is a deep V- cup. It sounds like it should be hard to play but in fact it is very very nice to play. I used to play shallower and narrower mouthpieces but since finding this I realise it's about as good as it gets and the safari is over for now. I have been playing it for over 6-7 months and have no intention of changing anytime soon. It is such a fine mouthpiece that if you started out on this you could eventually go in any direction size wise as you learnt what your sound requirements were. Or just stay with it! It is advertised as a mouthpiece specifically for people with braces but I think that that is doing it a diservice, since it's a free blowing comfortable V-cup with a nice full sound.

10. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Will he lose interest in the trumpet when he starts taking after the basson player and needs to switch to oboe to get close to her? Kidding aside, I had braces for several years and progress was slow at best. Depending on his age and interest in music, a great jump start is learning the piano. Just a thought.