nerves.audition.GAH

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by j4k8, Nov 7, 2007.

1. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    i have an audition coming up im kind of nervous and i always end up choking.[​IMG] even though im prepared it just feels weird, i just need to know how do you prepare for big auditions and do you have any tips?

2. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    My 2 cents worth. Really be prepared. Play for family and friends. Really do this. Get your stuff. Horn, stand, music. Everything you would take on the real audition. Make appointments, with your friends. Be on time, warm up, the works. I did this, and I think it took the edge off.

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I finally feel like I have some sort of control on my nerves when performing.

I have read about 6 books on performance anxiety to try and figure it out. What I like, is to have a room with no one else in it where I can relax and do breathing/centering exercises for about 20-30 minutes before the audition (not always possible though)

Imagine seeing yourself playing the crap out of it and also imagine seeing yourself being happy and confident afterwards. Close your eyes and relax, do slow breathing stuff.

Don't over warm-up either...just enough to be ready to play. Maybe play through things, but very slowly and for only 30 seconds at a time to get your head into the piece. Don't drink any caffeine that day, and I try not to the day or so before either. Drink plenty of water, but only up to 30 minutes before you play.

Just put yourself in an ultra focused mode. You might still feel nervous symptoms, but at least your head will be in the right place.

Hopefully this helps.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Check out the various posts on auditioning using the search feature!
    You are not alone!
    Choking is often caused by practicing the pieces, but not the breathing. You need to mark EVERY place that you WANT to breathe and then learn that just like the notes.
    If your breathing gets out of sync, you crash and burn. Many teachers will not hit you up aside the head for irregular breathing (especially if they have outstanding "natural" musicality) like they should.
    I observe this as the top deficit during auditions by young (and not so young) players. See the other current thread on auditions, there is a lot of good advice there too

5. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    thanks 4 the tips!
    are there any more out there though ?
    the auditions getting closer :shock: :-?

6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I believe he meant choking as in Forgetting how to play the stuff, fingers not working well, and stuff like that.

For me, man I just play. No one is there to watch you fail. Always keep in your head that you know exactly what your doing, and no one can tell you otherwise, nobody except you that is. You control your own performance. SO get to your audition early, and warm up until it feels right for you. Play your piece a few times until you have it under your fingers, and then wait for your audition. Play a little right before you go in, and then just nail it.

7. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    wish me luck
    thanks for all the awesome tips
    :thumbsup: