nerves during performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melza, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    To prevent from blowing somebody, Inderal (sp), beta blocker may well be of some help.
    Blocks adrenaline production, eliminates nervousness.
    I got the qualification to recommend that stuff.

BTW - Bird, Miles and others tried a whole bunch of "chemical solutions" - and what crap they played!

Wasn't good for their health though...

:thumbdown:

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Preparation won't cure nervousness in me. In fact, If I'm not a little nervous I don't play as well. It's become an accepted part of my performing routine.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For performance before and audience ... an as adjunct for teachers before a class ... joining Toastmasters should add to your performance attitude and ease all nervousness. Yes, this is a public speaking venue. I can also say if your musical performance is a secondary vocation, membership in Toastmasters is impressive on resumes in the corporate and government world.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    OK, here's a few things you might not know:
    1) No one plays a perfect song. There's always little mistakes in it even if it sounds perfect
    2)Nerves are natural. I've met and worked with just about everyone and they all say the get the nerves before going on stage
    3) If you make a mistake keep going. Your song will be based on the TOTALLITY of what you did, not a couple of missed notes
    4) There's a profound difference between excited nerves and just plain scared.
    Be like a race horse that's excited to get started, not a scared bunny that's afraid to come out of its hole.
    5)The audience wants you to do well. They want to hear a good performance. That means the audience is your friend and you are there to give them your best songs.
    6)Just keep playing in front of people. Churches, in school, at charity events ect. The more you do it, the more in control you'll become as long pending you realize that there is a profound difference between excited to perform(which is natural) and scared like a bunny(which is a bit disfunctional).

5. saxamattone

saxamattone New Friend

Oct 2, 2009
    Read "The Inner Game of Music" by Barry Green

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Bixel sez:
    To prevent from blowing somebody, Inderal (sp), beta blocker may well be of some help.
    I got the qualification to recommend that stuff.
    -------------------
    While everybody has the qualifications on a blog site to recommend just about anything. I sure hope you lack the ability to prescribe or fill any controlled substances given your post advocating the use of Inderal based simply on a blog from a stranger of unknown age.
    Bixel, your post is inappropriate and displays a true level of irresponsibility that a respectable medical school would have weeded out.
    ---------
    Here's a small sample of situations that can arise from the use or in the case of your entry "the misuse" of propranolol.
    Also, this little snippet below does not include drug interactions such as with ACE inhibitors etc. which is scarier than any stage fright, EVER!.

The following adverse events were observed and have been reported in patients using propranolol.

Cardiovascular: Bradycardia; congestive heart failure; intensification of AV block; hypotension; paresthesia of hands; thrombocytopenic purpura; arterial insufficiency, usually of the Raynaud type.

Central Nervous System: Light-headedness, mental depression manifested by insomnia, lassitude, weakness, fatigue; catatonia; visual disturbances; hallucinations; vivid dreams; an acute reversible syndrome characterized by disorientation for time and place, short-term memory loss, emotional lability, slightly clouded sensorium, and decreased performance on neuropsychometrics. For immediate-release formulations, fatigue, lethargy, and vivid dreams appear dose-related.

Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, constipation, mesenteric arterial thrombosis, ischemic colitis.

Allergic: Hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, pharyngitis and agranulocytosis; erythematous rash, fever combined with aching and sore throat; laryngospasm, and respiratory distress.

Respiratory: Bronchospasm.

Hematologic: Agranulocytosis, nonthrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenic purpura.

Autoimmune: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).

Skin and mucous membranes: Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, dry eyes, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema multiforme, urticaria, alopecia, SLE-like reactions, and psoriasiform rashes. Oculomucocutaneous syndrome involving the skin, serous membranes and conjunctivae reported for a beta blocker (practolol) have not been associated with propranolol.

Genitourinary: Male impotence; Peyronie's disease.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Check out Frank Greene's book "The Quiet Mind". (ISBN: 0-9788686-45100)
    He presents some very good techniques for settling yourself to do the best you can.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope. I'm with rowuk on this one. Recommending a perscription medication should be the LAST option for anyone, and that advice should be given by a physician.

Side effects of Inderal may include:
    Allergic reactions, congestive heart failure[​IMG], decreased white blood cells, depression, light-headedness, low blood pressure, nausea, slow heartbeat,

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The original quote:
    "Hey, I played a performance today and I just choked. I kept missing my beat and sqeaking and squealing notes and not hitting as high as I can. During rehearsals I was fine, does anyone have any tips on how to beat the nerves?"

There is NO indication for drugs here with this amount of info and arguing just to argue is of course the right of any internet poster. I do not agree with the anything goes mentality. The lack of responsibility is the issue.

"BTW - Bird, Miles and others tried a whole bunch of "chemical solutions" - and what crap they played!" Good point, that proves my point. Just imagine the results without wasting their minds and bodies.

Bixel, I know the business. The players aren't getting high to increase creativity. They are trying to bury weaknesses - quite often resulting in absolute failure, frustration and intolerance. You know as well as I do how many succeed chemically.

10. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    THE DRUG SOLUTION -

Good, old fashioned oxygen. Deep breathing excersizes before any performance fills your body up with this wonderful chemical. Also gets your breathing right for playing the trumpet.

tedh1951 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.