nerves during performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melza, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Breathing's always a good idea, hope your performance goes well. Just as a sidenote, having the water is a good idea. It will help you stay hydrated and hopufuly ease your mouth and lip drying due to nerves.

Cheers

Andrew

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Right, I get that, but unless you're a doctor and have a detailed knowledge of the original posters situation then I'll submit that it's irresponsible to offer drugs as your first (and only) option. In my opinion they should be the last option.

Here's your entire first reply to the original post:
    "Inderal (sp), beta blocker. Blocks adrenaline production, eliminates nervousness"

Nothing about preparation, practice, breathing, experience, etc. Just the name of a drug and one of the things it can do.

I agree that pharmaceutical drugs can be really useful, but recommending them haphazzardly on an internet forum is a bit reckless.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    jason sez:
    Hey,

I certainly do not want my brians blown out by Rowuk. I was just mentioning something that worked for me as I suffered from chronic nervousness. And BTW, I have none of the litany of side affects people have been mentioning. There are side affects of breathing you know, perhaps we should stop doing that.

For some, being nervous is not an effect of lack of preparation. I agree that that possibilty should be ruled out before seeking medicinal help, which I did and it did not resolve the issue.

I was overly prepared both in practice, and talent for the performing I was doing and it still was a problem, So, inderol worked for me.

Shooting down every pharmisuetical option is irresponsible. I mean would we tell an epeliptic to stop taking their meds because it is just bad to be a druggie.

These things were invented for a reason, within reason.
    -------------
    Wow! with the help of a physician who was able to evaluate your condition, you were helped with a drug. That's cool.
    Why do you recommend a drug when you should be recommending that if the individual can not get relief from conventional methods(some mentioned here), they might want to seek the advice of a QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think Rowuk is trying to express caution in wanting everyone to try all other methods first before considering a prescribed medical option. To that, I totally agree. 99.9% of the population can have nervousness or stage fright, as some might call it, addressed through a variety of techniques -many posted here. Practice, practice, practice. Breathing, technique, visualization. Hey, one that you guys failed to mention is hypnosis. ( I bet I can cure some of you with it -and have you running around clucking like a chiken on stage at the same time and not knowing it -hee hee).

The flip side, is there are a rare few individuals that are so overly affected by it that none of these methods will work. I know, I am one. Still, it is important to try all other nonchemical measures first. When my Doc, a cardiologist, recommended Inderol, he did so because my heart was throwing preventricular contractions in such situations -that might even lead to sudden death. Humm. Let's weigh the options. Death, Inderol. I choose the latter. Also, the situation warranted it -I wasn't about to change careers, toss out 7 years of college, etc. because I was facing stage fright. But to again reiterate and be tautalogical on my inital statement -everything else should be tried first. And give it some time. The degree must also be considered. Most people's nervousness will never approach the degree to which that 1/10 of 1 percent will. And, of course, if you are playing lead for Maynard, circumstances for addressing the issue may be somewhat greater than if you are performing in the 5th grade band concert.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    When you get old and fat and have high blood pressure you may get a prescription for Metaprolol. It works wonders for nerves. It is a beta blocker. I would not suggest the high blood pressure route for obtaining it.

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Are you guys really busting my chops on this one? Of courese go to the Dr., you won't get the script otherwise. I am just saying it helped me, and it could help him. I am NOT saying meet in the alley and I'll give you a hit.

Give me just a little more credit than that.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jason,
    read your original post. No word about any conditions that you have, no word of warning, no context. Just plain irresponsible.

I also did not say anything about epileptics not taking their medicine when they play.

It comes up every time that drugs are brought up. I was in the states last week and was amazed by the irresponsible advertising for politics and drugs. They made me sick. No context, just promises. I give your post exactly the same credit: dangerous, irresponsible, context free.

How many of us take drugs for things that we could handle with just a bit more discipline? Smoking, weight, nerves, sleeping. Pop a pill and you are home free. Wow, isn't that easy? What a load of crap. The ad industry is just making the weak weaker.

Just drop it. We don't need to argue about this anymore.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    To those blasting beta blockers, I must simply say you're wrong. They are not for all cases, but they do work when all else fails. They are not mind-numbing medications and do not affect the sensorium as the term "drugs" seems to imply. Just saying to some one "Don't be nervous, relax, breathe deeply etc" may work for a few, but for most it doesn't. It's no more effective than Nancy Reagans "Just say 'No' " campaign. So to the moralists here with profound accustaions of stupidity to those who may need them,I say stick to subjects of which you know something and get off your high horse.

Dr. MIke

9. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Some peoples central nervous system is considerbably more sensitive then others, making all the unplesant symptoms almost unbearable even though they have prepred 110%. To say that thoes people lack preparation, call them weak, or lazy and that they want to "cheat" makes my blood BOIL!
    The "superheroes" of this forum with self confidence SKY HIGH should REALLY know that this subject is way bigger and deeper than their narcissistic ego EVER can understand.

Go read about Serotonin levels for example....."more discipline"?? ..JESUS!

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Maybe I'm not getting it but isn't this a trumpet forum?
    Hey Moderator, how about wiping this crap out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.