nerves during performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melza, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You come down first friend.

If you would take the time to actually read through the thread you'd see that the reaction to the poster recommending the drug was largely about the careless way he delivered it. No caveat that it should be a last resort. No other suggestions that could be useful to most people who are new to public performance, just the name of a drug and some of the things it's supposed to do.

By the way, relaxing, deep breathing, and proper preparation are what get MOST performers through a job, not meds. Maybe you should consider options other than drugs.

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    I like that.

Don Quijote (any similarities with living persons are purely coincidental)

:oops:

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Originally Posted by MTROSTER
    So to the moralists here with profound accustaions of stupidity to those who may need them, I say stick to subjects of which you know something and get off your high horse.
    ---------------
    Hmmmmm? How can I put this.
    Isn't this a trumpet forum?

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just reflecting on the comments through this post:

There seems to be one clear message that keeps getting overrun. Medication, prescribed by a physician, after a careful evaluation and after trying every other possible means, should be the absolute last resort.

For fairly new, inexperienced players, the first course of action should be preparation, breathing, visualization, more practice, more breathing, emphasis on technique, etc. This is going to work or help for 99.9%.

However, what about the guys who play better than Wayne B and better breathing than Maynard. His technique is better than Mendez, and Doc is callin g him for lessons. The guys have been playing for 20 years. They have practiced the piece ten trillion times. Still unable to perform. Then, a discussion with the medical doctor is probably in order. And, I would assume, most posters here are not M.D.s that we probably shouldn't try to counteract the doctor's recommendation.

Guess my point is that where "the ususal" breathing, technique, practice can fix many -it will not fix 100%. I think it is important to be sensitve to those who standard procedures can help, and the few it cannot.

By the way, I still haven't had any takers for the hypnosis option I suggested. You'll only run around on stage clucking like a chicken for a few minutes, I promise. :)

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    the guys who play better than Wayne B and better breathing than Maynard. His technique is better than Mendez,
    --------------
    ?

6. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    I've found two things that help me tremendously, bring water onto the stage with you (but make sure it doesn't distract from your performance), and to do about 15 minutes of this thing called the breathing gym, it helps me relax, focus and breathe!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now that we have everything from Maynard/Wayne to epileptics covered, from funny to serious and moral to irresponsible I think I will end this thread and if something like this comes up again, shove it into the lounge where I am not moderator.

In spite of all of the wonderful advice, most of the posters seem content to treat symptoms instead of the real problems.

Sleep apnea got my blood pressure WAY up (215/150) a couple of years ago and I was put on drugs right away. I first noticed this state while on stage performing the Hummel. During the second movement I got the shakes and was only able to bring myself down with very deep breathing during the breaks I got through, only my wife noticed, but I was SCARED! I spent some time with a couple of different doctors, got a CPAP machine, lost 25 pounds work out between 30 and 45 minutes a day and am down to a half tablet of micardis per day. (By the way, it was amazing how many of my colleagues were asking me for pills when they found out what had happened.

I CAN recommend a checkup at your doctor and then some yoga to those looking to find ways to work on the source instead of the symptoms.

Thread closed

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.