Nerves & Playing Too Loudly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Nov 20, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I just had a very good audition on wednesday, made the band, didn't get the chair I wanted, but considering the difference between chair 2,3, and 4 were only 3 points, it was obviously a very good audition across the board, and im excited to be starting in our wind ensemble (honor band level). The problem I have come to notice, and my director's ears have DEFINITELY noticed, is when I become nervous I go into autodrive, and play very loudly. Its still a clean, controlled sound, but when the page reads piano, forte is typically bad. That was the one thing I realized is an issue I have, and I want to fix it for next year. While practicing the piece and in my private lesson I had the dynamics down as close as they were going to get in the six days we had to prepare the piece (The Hounds of Spring), but when I got into the audition, during our second bracket (we had two parts of the piece we had to play) my nerves for some reason started setting in, and the piano was no more. Do you guys have any tips, and do any of you guys have this same problem (playing too loudly when nervous)?

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Hey blue, nerves have never been a problem for me, because i killed them young. I gig a lot with my mom and its made me learn just to be confident and do your best. the more you perform in front of real people you dont know, the more you'll be comfortable performing in the auditions. I dont know if you play jazz, but those are the kind of gigs that will get you comfy. i might suggest you get a little combo band and jam around...

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Well whats weird I find, is during jazz solos, Im typically fine, its auditions that I really been to mess up. In jazz im with a group up on the stage, but with auditions its just you and the director. This time it was odd because I started getting nervous at the very end, but for jazz auditions, I was LOUD! I don't know why this happens to me, it used to be the other way around, I was this quiet feeble player, but starting in about april of last year, I started really becoming confident and loud, I sound great, but playing loud throughout the whole audition hurts my score, especially when it says piano, LOL.

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    There is a paperback book The Inner Game of Music by Timothy Gallway. I found it pretty helpful when I was younger. It gives practical exercises/examples of how to get rid of that doubting voice in your head.

5. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well as my trumpet section was bred off of from day one. We were always taught not to get nervous, but to get obsenly angry. Just what we were taught, and it has always worked for those of use who made great use of it.

6. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    By any chance are you from riverdale high school?

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Nope Ramsey, in new jersey

8. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    ah gotcha, same initials for a rival high school band we have

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nerves is only an excuse. It is not true. YOU are always in charge of your destiny. YOU can blame cracked notes on nerves, but going into autopilot is one of the most ridiculous excuses I have ever heard for turning the brain off. Turning the brain off in an ensemble is pure lack of respect for the group. Think about that and your attitude and playing will change.

It is very easy to point at some fictive issue as an excuse. Neurotics have become just about everything we see on TV, in computer games, politics................ It has become a wonderful source of income for the pharmaceutical industry.

YOU can get this lack of respect under control by adequately preparing and keeping the respect issue in your mind. You have been given an opportunity, now prove that you deserve it and stop projecting YOUR behaviour in this irresponsible way.

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    You see I DID adequately prepare, the girl who got second chair outplayed me, im not denying that fact. She's a very good player, who worked very hard too, and she had a very good audition. This isn't my excuse, three points mean nothing to me, im on second part, not bad, what happened happens. I let the pressure get to me, and started freaking out, and then I played at mf instead of piano at the beginning of the phrases. This isn't an excuse, this is something I saw in my audition, and I want to be able to hammer it out, and fix it so that I can become a better player, and take on auditions in a better manner! I made an attempt to prove to my director how well I can play, but the girl did a better job. Three points isn't much, but now my job is to see what I did wrong, and improve upon that, so that I can grow as a player. THATS why I want tips when it comes to this issue. Sorry if it came out as a "ridiculous excuse" but its what i've observed.