Nervous as!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samlove1970, Apr 26, 2014.

1. samlove1970

samlove1970 New Friend

Dec 8, 2013
    I am a comeback trumpeter and have been practicing Arban, Clarke and Rubanks for a month and a bit...last Thursday night I was accepted into the local city brass band!
    Am a little nervous and am seeking any and all advice...They have given me the parts for second cornet.
    Sam

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi, Sam!

Welcome to TM!

Three things come to mind:

1. Practise.

2. Get a truely GOOD teacher.

3. Practise!

Hope it helps . . .

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Enjoy, listen, blend, balance.

You'll be fine.

Have fun!

4. samlove1970

samlove1970 New Friend

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks,
    I am in the market for a good teacher. Private message me if you live in Sydney. I live in the Concord area.
    Sam

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Congratulations! And starting off at Second Cornet means that they really appreciate your playing. Usually, novices (even if they can play) spend a year or two maudling about Third Cornet...
    so LEAP into it (Listen, gain Experience, practice your Arban, and Play really well).

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Sam, I'm in Melbourne, so I'm not much help teacher wise.

What might be useful, are some observations from about 18 months back when I was in a similar situation to you. After a few months of coming back, I'd done a few gigs with a rock band for fun, but wanted some more formal ensemble stuff and joined my local community concert band. Band practice is now a night of the week that i look forward to.

The advice i can offer is that it doesn't matter how much practice you've done and how well you're playing, ensemble playing requires additional skills that will come back when you play with a band. Hence the previous comment about listening and balancing.
    I'm sure you'll have a ball.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nervousness is good. Keeps you on your toes. After a couple performances, that nervousness will turn to pure joy. By the way, a joyous welcome to TM.

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Was in the same boat a while back. Your nerves will dissipate as you get to know members better. My experience thus far is that people are very open and welcoming to new comeback players. It all will soon become very relaxing. By the way, I love "maudling about" as a 3rd trumpet just happy to play my part well. In fact, the conductor asked if I would move the stand more off the side (or lower it as I am tall) so that he can better hear me complete the chord. It is a great feeling.

BB

9. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Welcome to TM and welcome back to the horn(s), and, congrats on the brass band gig! Prior tips are great, so have fun and play well!

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM, Sam!

Lots of comeback players here, myself included.

Mike