Nervous as!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samlove1970, Apr 26, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    same here -- and Sam don't worry about it --- just share the LOVE of music --- I suspect that is why your screen name is such that it is --- welcome to TM

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Sam!

Listening is very important. At first it will be a challenge playing your part, but with time and familiarity with the piece you can start listening to the other parts. That is when it gets really fun!

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Great advice from those who know !

I won't add anything ,so Welcome to TM and enjoy your new position ,and good luck. :D

After a 35 years vacation I'm a combacker too .

Dean_0

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sounds like you are in for a great fun time. Ask your section mates and I am sure they'll be able to recommend a teacher.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :welcome: :wave:

What they all said!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OR
    "!Dias lla yeht tahw" ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    !keew tsal saw tahT TK

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Here is how welcoming trumpet players are at the comeback level.

The first trumpet of my community band gave me a standing invitation to try the local swing band that he runs. They play once a month at a local restaurant. I love the music, but have never attempted to play it before. He knows my sight reading and rhythm are probably at a grade 4 level at best. But, he also knows that I work like a dog on the trumpet. Oh my god. The tempo was so fast, by the time I got my horn to my face the passage was gone. To me, it was so sad it was hilarious. All I could think about was the Pete Barbutti scene where his head is pivoting side-to-side, over and over, about 20 degrees between reading the music and "almost" putting his mouth on the mouthpiece until he finally gets to blow one note.

The guy I sat next to saw how much trouble I was having and started to play with one hand and count by extending his fingers on the other. He kept me on track the whole rehearsal time. And, when something was playable, he said "you can play this, try". When practice was over, everybody was giving very kind, terrific advice on how to improve and wanted to make sure I was coming back. I asked, if it was ok if I just sit and count through the pieces. They said "yes, just come and try." So, now I will go to practice Tuesday nights, even if I only learn how to count and improve my sight reading while others play. And, I am truly grateful they allow it.

BB

How awesome is that?

Sidekick likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    skeew esufnoc ot yrros os, ho ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just heard a report on NPR that individuals using emotitrons are insecure, typically adolescent females, and that the end result is less success in relationships from including them in the subject of their posts. Hummm.... interesting. It was a driveway moment for me. Guess who I immediately though of?