Networking, promoting...business stuff

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AaronPlaysTrumpet, Jul 12, 2011.

1. AaronPlaysTrumpet

AaronPlaysTrumpet New Friend

Jul 7, 2011
    Hey guys! I could use some help on the business end of the horn. I'm currently going into my third year of college as a music major (double major education/performance, minor in jazz studies). I happen to be working part time this summer so I'd like to invest some of my spare time into networking and hopefully playing some jobs. My teacher at school calls me a power-legit player, the "jack-of-all-trades" kind of guy who could play in almost any type of group.

Anyone have any good advice on how to break into the "biz"? I have a few contacts and steady gigs: a church hires me for the big services a few times a year, a fire department marching band calls me to sub, and there are a few other bands and groups that I've played with in my area (Long Island, NY)

I have business cards, I have good relationships with all my old teachers, and I have great people skills and a truly professional attitude (at leas I like to think so!). I can play and I can also teach most instruments, not just trumpet (part of the music education curriculum).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,

-A

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Find out who the leading freelancers are, and ask for the chance to play some duets or take a lesson. If they like your attitude and playing they can provide your name to people who call about recommendations or even as a substitute. Seek out open-mike jam sessions and play at those.

Don't expect to be a first-call player in a short amount of time, but if can become the third-call guy on lots of lists you'll get plenty of work.

Good luck!

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Join as many different groups as you can. People have to hear you play in order to hire you.When I first started to get my name out there 38 years ago after discharge from a military band, I had no contacts. I played with fire department bands,polka bands,big bands,church quartets, solo with organ,wedding bands etc.. I've always met some one who played in another "better" band who asked if I would be interested in coming to a rehearsal. Eventually the word gets out.Build a reputation.
    I've never had to audition for a gig,it was always from word of mouth.I've worked with the Jimmy Dorsey band,Frank Foster, Slide Hampton,Sal Nestico,and numerous other well known musicians and singers, because of word of mouth.

So I would tell you to get out there, play and connect.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Sounds like you are already doing a lot of the things necessary to build up your schedule. I would recommend you use your current contacts first. Church music directors and organists often know their counterparts in other churches. Ask for an introduction. If that new person doesn't have any work, ask them if they know of another church that may be looking for musicians. And some of the people in the bands you are playing with may be involved in other bands as well - find out what these are and try to get involved.

Having a qualified recommendation and introduction can go a long way to getting you connected to new oppportunities.

5. trumpetrmb

trumpetrmb New Friend

Jun 15, 2011
    Portsmouth, England
    Put your own group together and start gigging, even if it's busking on the streets! Make your own opportunity's. My old teacher always told me to "be bothered, and stuff will happen." Wise words. Good luck!

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Make a demo CD with a half dozen 30 second clips of you playing and direct mail it to
    larger churches. One gig will pay back your costs.

7. AaronPlaysTrumpet

AaronPlaysTrumpet New Friend

Jul 7, 2011
    Definitely sounds great. One problem - I really don't know much about church music (didn't exactly grow up going to church). At the Lutheran church I play for, the director has organ/piano & trumpet music books for me and/or I just read out of the hymnals.

What's "standard" for a church gig, and what should I have prepared going into it?

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I like the "get lessons" from a working local .... if you are good your instructor will help you get work

9. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Most churches have their own music and will share it with you like the director has done already. As far as preparation, the ability to sight read well (and transpose from C), good tone, availability and attitude are keys to success. You can probably find hymnals for different denominations (Catholic, Lutheran, etc.) if you want to familiarize yourself with the basic tunes.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It may be wise to seek a lawyer and follow his/her adevice in establishing your self legally as a professional in the community / state. There are definite tax advantages in doing this viz, all your acquisitions of music, equipment and instruments become a business expense. I will say that you must then pay taxes on all profitable income and if you are not profitable in a certain time IRS will shut you down. The question is always how you become known as a professional trumpeter, and to this I can suggest a newspaper ad that includes a FREE offer of a CD sampler, but I have found your FREE community performances bring you the fastest "word of mouth" advertisement.