Never buy a horn from a company without a decent return policy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gerardo1000, Jul 4, 2009.

1. gerardo1000

gerardo1000 Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    I was looking for a cornet and I found the web site of a store where they sell trumpets and cornets "made by Schiller, Frankfurt, Germany". I asked info about these trumpets and I got an immediate reply that they were excellent instruments.
    I bought a new Schiller trumpet and when I received it I was incredibly disappointed.
    The bell of the trumpet was as thin as a can of baked beans. The intonation was off. The trumpet's mouthpiece was unplayable. In summary, a real piece of junk. I did some research and finally discovered that the original "Schiller Music, Frankfurt, Germany" Company does not exists anymore, the
    rights to use its name have been bought by a Chinese entrepreneur who builds junk instruments in China and brand them "Schiller, Frankfurt, Germany" in order to rip off poor customers (like me) who are so stupid to trust the name written on a product. I wrote several e-mails to the store, both trough their web mail and using their personal e-mail address, and got no answers at all. Finally, after several attempts, I managed to talk on the phone to some rude guy who told me that they do not accept returns on what they sell, and then shut down the phone. By the way, they DO NOT talk about their NO RETURN policy in their web site, neither they mentioned it when I ordered the trumpet on the phone.
    Please benefit from my experience: ALWAYS ask the seller about his return policy, before buying !

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    trumpet_man and Pseudonym like this.
  2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    So sorry about your experience. There have been and are many threads about these "objects" here on TM. It takes a while to get educated about the international trumpet market and frequently "all is not what it seems".
    As you have found out horns advertised as German or French engineered are ones to stay away from. If you surf around the trumpets and cornets listed on ebay you will see many of those you should use caution with that are out side the mainstream brands. I'm glad you have taken the measures you did.

There are many archived and current threads about these brands and member's experiences with them.

If you decide to get another horn, please run it by us. That's what a lot of the queries are about these days.

3. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello G. Sorry for your plight,a real bummer.Please, in the future before you buy,check with us first. Probably 99.9% on this site know this is a Chinese rip off company. I believe they were selling on E-Bay. Make a wall mount or lamp out of it to remind you to stay with the proven name brands.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about this. I'd also try the Wisconsin Attorney General's office. Maybe refusing to take returns when they didn't post such a policy is something they can help you with?

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    File a complaint with Paypal (I assume you used it to make the payment). If he is selling these regularly he should have a balance with paypal and they can tap that balance to give you your money back.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do not feel sorry for customers that buy cheap. We owe it to ourselves to make intelligent purchase decisions. When WE choose low end, no one forced us to do this. There is plenty of qualified information on quality instruments. No real independent information is a pretty good sign of trouble.

You chose cheap and are the loser. Check with your states consumer protection laws and next time remember that a deal too good to be true is exactly that.

As far as the dealer goes, I can't assume why they would treat you this way. Sometimes looking in the mirror can help us discover ways to get what we want.

I have been in Germany for a long time and know of no Schiller in Frankfurt. As a matter of fact, I have never heard of a german Schiller trumpet. It isn't like they were producing up to a couple of months ago and that the name was "recently" sold.

I also have no grief with the Chinese on this. They only produce what they have orders for. The IMPORTER makes the decision to have crap built. They are the ones screwing the consumer.

7. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    :-PI had a similar purchase. My instructor said to "unbend it and use it as a grass aerator" At least it would be useful.ROFL

8. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    When looking for an inexpensive horn you'd do much better with a decent vintage horn, IMO. Most older models can play rings around the student and intermediate level horns on the market today. You can find some really nice pro-quality older horns for a few hundred dollars at several web sites, and with good return policies.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Gerardo1000, please let us know how things turn out.

10. mimic

mimic Pianissimo User

May 3, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with what basically has been said as regards the "you get what you pay for" thing. It is unfortunate that some of limited means and not savvy on these type of forums suffer this misfortune. Unfortunately there could come a day when cheap and pretty horns drive the market and seriously hurt repuditable companies. It has happened in other sectors and could happen in instruments.