New Arban (Platinum Edition)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jul 15, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Does anybody have this? Is it the same as the other one or has there been any modifications made. Also how is the accompaniment CD

Eric

2. cfmiles

cfmiles New Friend

Feb 19, 2005
    Mississippi
    I got the Arban Platinum Edition for my dad for Christmas for two reasons; He needed an Arban's book and I was curious about the acc. cd. The book is pretty much exactly the same. I haven't noticed any major improvements or edits in the book that warrant much talk. The acc. cd in my opinion is way too slow to be of any use. Most of the triple tongued variations can almost be single tongued they are so slow. Nevertheless, it is useful to get the acc in your head as to how it goes, but I don't think it can be used for serious practice because of how slow many of the variations are.

3. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    It's comb bound, isn't it? I'd think it would me much easier to keep it open than with the original binding.

4. cfmiles

cfmiles New Friend

Feb 19, 2005
    Mississippi
    Yes, it is comb bound. I forgot to mention that. The comb binding does make it easier to keep it open on the stand, and this way the binding doesn't eventually wear out and you have to revert to duct tape to keep it together.

5. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I needed another Arban ( my fifth!) so I got this one. I use it for many of my students because it stays open! By the way, my first one cost all of $5 in 1956.
    Yes, I am three years older than dirt. I have never used the CD.
    Roy

6. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    This publisher has been sensible enough to divide the Arban's into three books (actually two, the third one is for piano accompaniment of the 12 solos) Thre first book contains the very first exercises to the fanfare tonguing exercises. The second book has the popular melodies, duets, 14 etudes and 12 solos. I think my books are going to last. :cool:

7. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    May be the publisher of the older version was considerate, trying to force you to memorise the exercises off by heart. :cool: