New Bach 180S37 problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wacbandvet, Oct 13, 2013.

1. wacbandvet

wacbandvet New Friend

Feb 5, 2011
    Virginia
    In the middle of playing an exercise on my new Bach Strad 180S37 B flat trumpet, one of the valves turned inside the valve casing. Anyone hear of this before? It is less than 1 month old.

2. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Take it back to the shop.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, take it back to the shop. It may be a valve guide that isn't fitting correctly. Once had a new horn (won't name the brand) and it kept having a similar issue-even getting stuck in the valve casing. Took it to one of the best mater repair guys in the South. We meddled with it for a while and then gave it back saying it was fixed. Would never tell me what was the issue. It has worked perfectly sense. My only guess (knowing I watched him from a distance and he never did anything to it with tools) is he repositioned a valve guide.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Third for returning it! Sounds like a bad valve guide to me too. When you get your money back, go buy a pro Getzen. Way better horn and valves are warranted for life! :roll:

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Give it Bach... and get yourself a horn that is real quality, not just a reputation built on quality he predecessors had long ago...

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Tried a new one recently. Still pretty good. I like my Bachs. I'm liking my Conn Victor a little better now.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Wow, guess we've had our daily Bach-bashing!

Run it in to the shop - likely just something minor and then you can begin really enjoying the new horn.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, that's the ticket. Get rid of what's probably a great, brand new horn because a 25-cent nylon valve guide doesn't seat correctly. Some of you need to visit the doctor to make sure your legs weren't injured by that last kneejerk reaction...

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Didn't hurt my leg but did bust a gut!!

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I would let the shop check it as it is likely something very very minor. You seem to have stumbled into some controversy- Bachs tend to be either loved or hated on TrumpetMaster- reminds me of football here with Alabama or Auburn- you think one is great and the other horrible. If you have a Bach, you obviously picked it because you liked the horn. They are great horns and played by many, many pros. Just get it checked out. Likely a very minor fix.