new bach model trumpet?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by talcito, Jul 29, 2004.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I was taking a lesson wuth a very respected trumpet teacher in NY.He mentioned that Bach is producing a Large Bore horn with a 25 Bell. He tells me this combination is really working well. I have never heard of this size bell and cannot locate it in the internet music stores. Does anyone have any experience with this set up?

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Long and McQuade Music in Toronto has one, which I tried last week. It didn't feel to me to be a large bore horn - I didn't realize it was until I looked it up. It was very bright-sounding and a nice player.

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I had a Bach Strad L25 made in 1936 so I don't think you could say it's a new model :lol:

It's feels like a ML37 but you can blow some more air in it, it was the leadhorn in those theys I believe.

4. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    Dave Douglas plays the L Bore, 25 bell

nope, its not new! just not seen as often as the 37, 43, 72 models

5. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I played a large bore 25 bell for about 15 years. It wasn't until I got onto these trumpet forums that I realized they're not too common.

6. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Many years ago I had a large bore 25 bell. It played well for "legit" stuff..I thought that overall it played very stuffy. It did sound nice in a church though

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There is certainly nothing new about the Bach Strad LB with a 25 bell. That is the standard bell configuration for the LB Strad, and is the equivalent of the 37 bell on the ML Strad. I bought a LB 25 a little over 7 years ago and it sounds and feels a lot like the ML 37, although it is a little more free blowing.

I bought mine with the intention of using it as a legit horn, but as fate would have it, most of the playing I have done on this horn has been anything but legit. Mostly I have played Latin, Big Band and Rock band on this horn and recently I had a couple of modifications made that make it a little better suited toward this kind of playing. For one, I had the forward bell brace moved back a little over an inch. The other thing that I had done was I had the second vertical brace on the leadpipe removed. (I left the one on the tuning slide.) These two modifications have "improved" slotting, (it's a little more loosey-goosey) it feels a little more free, and it is quick to "light up" when you push it. It has made my life in the rock band A LOT easier.