New Bach Strads

Discussion in 'Horns' started by orchestra_trumpet_star, Dec 5, 2005.

1. orchestra_trumpet_star

orchestra_trumpet_star New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    Hey,
    Has anyone heard anything about the new "replica" Mt. Vernon strads that are coming out soon? When? What characteristics? Any info would be great! Thanks!
    OTS

PS Again I am sorry if there is anyone reading this for the second time as I also post on the TH website

2. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    No need to be sorry ... I am reading it here first.

I am curious, also.

Robert Rowe

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I have seen the horns designed off the NY Strads.

I'll tell ya, I have been lucky to try a Mt. V before. From the first note I could tell something was just better. Tighter blow than modern Strads, though.

I would be VERY curious to play this horn against
    a:) A good 37.
    b:) A ZeuS G
    c:) An MR or Classic. :D

I figured this would happen after Steinway acquired Holton (Holton had the madrels for the old Mt. Vernons, if I remember correctly).

Van

4. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    The Mt.Vs are way better then a Zeus. I tried the Zeus G and there is no comparison. A good Mt.V also play better them a new (good) 37. They do not play tighter. The sound of a Mt.V is just richer. That said, the NYs and Mt.V were more build like custom horns, so there could be some differences between the same models.

The Bach 197 is a very good horn and played as good as my NY and Mt.V. But it's just an different Bach. A lightweight horn (like NY) with more body (like the Mt.V) It depends on what you're searching for in a horn.

Against an MR....well I would not sell my Mt.V for a MR. I did compare them side by side last week. (sorry, Leigh.. :-P )

But I read that there's a new Bach C coming out soon which has NY charasteristics. Not a Bb.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have owned NY Bachs, at one time I owned sn157. It was made in 1926. It was a very good horn. I have owned Mt Vernon Bbs and Cs that were great........I picked them. I have played NY Bachs that were dogs, the same can be said for those Mt. Vernon Bachs with the short leadpipe.
    I grew up playing Bach and Besson trumpets. Everyone around me played those horns because Bach for many years was the only horn maker you could actually talk to.
    Saying all that,let me again qoute Harry Glantz......"It's the man behind the horn" :cool:
    I had the pleasure of meeting the kid....Sergei Nakariakov when he was about 15 years old. He sounded great on an old Getzen with a 10.5C Bach mouthpipe.
    PRACTICE.......PRACTICE.........PRACTICE
    Wilmer

6. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Erik, for comparing Eclipse to NY Bach, I recommend the MY, not the MR.

7. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I didn't want to go in details about the Eclipse, because this is a Bach thread. But be asured, I know what to compare and the Eclipse is a very fine horn. I allready played 4 different types including a MY and they are great horns. But I like the sound and feel of my Bach horns better. It's just a matter of taste.

BTW. my NY Bach (ML37) is very different from my Mt.V Bach (ML37). Much lighter (220gr).

8. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    Hopefully, they'll bring one to MidWest.

Romey

9. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    I do to. I have compared the MY and MR to my 1937 NY BAch extensively, for hours, at my home, with an Eclipse dealer, and I can pretty much tell you that in extensive blind testing, the MY is significantly closer and the MR was simply in a world of its own, time and time again.

The sound spectrum of the yellow brass Eclipse bell simply, more closely resembled that which is produced by my New York, regardless of player.

10. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    That's why I compared it with my Mt.Vernon 1964, not with my NY 1941. As I said, Both Bachs are totally different horns.

The Eclipses play also totally different compared to my Bachs. But they are used for the same purpose so that's what I compared. The Eclipses slot and intonate better compared to my Bachs. But I'm more of a Bachoholic because of the sound and feel of a Bach trumpet.