New brief sound clip of my LR Eclipse (and more on the way!)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by TrentAustin, Jan 30, 2005.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So... I'm bored and am trying out my brand new little Fostex recorder. I recorded a quick little clip of my "baby" and thought someone might want to hear it other than me. I especially think you'll like the F# at the end, lol!

I used a Shure sm 57 and a REALLY bad mic cord (my good cords are in my car from my gig last night). I used my Osmun custom TA mouthpiece as well in case you're really wondering....

I'll try to record some REAL clips this week and not just fool around.

Here's the link... PM me if you have any questions or the link doesn't work. I'll add new clips on this topic.

http://www.trentaustin.com/funclip.mp3

Want to hear anything in particular?

Best and thanks to everyone who's emailed me about Karen. I really appreciate all of the thoughts and this little recording project has helped me take the sadness away for a bit.

Best,

Trent
    www.trentaustin.com

2. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for all of the comments!

The recorder I'm using is a basic Fostex Mr-8 available for around $300. It 's a fun tool as I'm finding out. I haven't even begun to do anything in terms of reverb or splicing.... I'll take it on my 10 week ASO tour and really dig into it.

Speaking of "dig" I have another clip up on my site... it's fairly big so be patient with the download:

www.trentaustin.com/dearjohn.mp3

Enjoy this (this is the tune "Dear Lord" by John Coltrane... I love E Major on trumpet) and let me know what you think.

I'll do a few more clips and post them soon.

Best,

Trent

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Re: New brief sound clip of my LR Eclipse (and more on the w

Sounds good!

4. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    More clips:

www.trentaustin.com/invite.mp3

www.trentaustin.com/yesterdays.mp3
    (following post from TH)

Hi gang...
    Thanks again for all the comments.

Tomorrow I'll post the Blue Mitchell clip playing my MY Eclipse. Great Idea Bruce. The great thing about the MY is that you probably won't hear much of a difference in the core sound. There's a lot more "ping" to the notes especially in articulation and the octave from middle (tuning) C to High C is so secure on my MY. I'm extremely lucky to have TWO Eclipse Bb's. Now I have to save my pennies for a flugel!

Horn Trials anyone?

I'll have my itinerary for my two month tour coming up soon and if anyone wants to try my LR let me know. I'll post the itinerary on the website as well as TH if I get it in time. We leave next Thursday and I can't wait to get out of the snow (first stop is in South Carolina!) I know I'll be in Florida a bunch, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Kansas City, New Orleans, , Vegas, Denver, LA, etc I think.... I'll know more (HOPEFULLY!!!) soon.

I have put up a live clip of a faculty concert up at USM with guest artist Wycliffe Gordon. He's an absolute VIRTUOSO on the trombone (plays great trumpet too!) and when we were hanging out before the concert he asked me what I wanted to play. I said Cherokee, nice and fast but not "too crazy".... This clip is for you, Brent This was recorded with two overhead mics and the room is absolutely dreadful do play jazz in because everything becomes a wash when it gets loud. That will $5,000 please... hahahah j/k!

www.trentaustin.com/scareakey.mp3 (PLEASE be patient as this is almost 8 megs)

RULE #1... never say fast unless you're ready to hit it! I was sitting in the audience with my horn listening to the first three tunes and not in the green room preparing for a slightly fast tune (after the lengthy ballad intro it was only 368 I think)

I went home and played Cherokee getting it up to 420 BPM fast since then.... to be prepared next time I say I want to play something fast... DOH!

BE PREPARED or else you'll fold like me

Best, and enjoy the humility (and WYCLIFFE's AMAZING PLAYING!)

Trent

5. kanstulmeha440

kanstulmeha440 New Friend

Feb 6, 2005
    Detroit
    Wow!!! You're good! hehe
    yeah, that's wycliffe for ya. I'm in Civic Jazz Orchestra, which is a youth jazz group put together under the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (more http://www.detroitsymphony.com/education/ensembles/jazz/). The past two years we had Marcus Belgrave as our director, now we've got Lincoln Center's bassist Rodney Whitaker.
    This year we've had two master classes, one with Herbie Hancock and one with Wycliffe. towards the end of the rehearsal Wycliffe started playing something on his trombone and Rodney walked into the room and picked up a bass. They just looked at eachother and then broke into some crazy tunes! Wycliffe's abilities are just enthralling!
    Later on this year we've got another class with some trumpeter name Hannibal something, anybody ever heard of him?

Anyway, you sound really great on that horn!!!!! Keep it real!

6. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a bunch of new sound clips for people's listening...

These few are on my Olds Opera Cornet... restored from the dead by Leigh McKinney.

This one is played with a Curry 1 1/4DC mouthpiece:
    www.trentaustin.com/ceora.MP3

This one is recorded with a Bach 3C piece:
    www.trentaustin.com/nostalgia.MP3

And this clip is a new clip to me... I thought I had lost it... it's an older clip on my LR Eclipse and is pretty fun. I hope you enjoy it!

www.trentaustin.com/work.MP3

Thanks again for listening and enjoy! Any requests?

Best,

Trent

7. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Trent,
    How did you do that "squeal" about 53 seconds into the first clip? I'd appreciate any other tips you could give me. Your sound is unbelievable. Heck, I'm still in high school (16 yrs old).

Request: The Scene is Clean (by Clifford Brown)

8. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the kind words.

on those mini high notes (that's what I like to call them!) I just use a lot of compression and really fast air. I think of focusing my airstream as much as possible and projecting my sound very far without playing loudly.

I'll have to record some loud high notes sometime :-o , or not. :evil:

Take care,

Trent

9. etownfwd

etownfwd New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    PA
    Hey Trent,
    Not one to break from the theme of Clifford, can I request "Finders Keepers"? That has got to be the happiest tune I have ever heard, save CT's tunes! BTW, I just heard scare-a-kee, and boy did they fake you out! It sounds great! The stop-time section is really crazy, but that's wycliffe for ya! Hey, drop me a line when you are down in PA again!
    -Hank

10. kerouack

kerouack New Friend

Nov 17, 2003
    great cherooke!!