New Chineese horn finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, May 9, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    How do you determine whether a silver colored Chineese trumpet has a laquer finish? It would seem to me that an inexpensive horn would not have a silver plating and therefore, by default, be laquered. But how do we know for sure?

2. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Lacquer is clear, so unless the horn is made from sterling silver (very expensive) it is not lacquered. It's either plated with something that is silver in color (like silver) or it is painted.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Plated horns usually aren't lacquered.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I suppose this is true in general - I just don't know. My Weril EP4071 Pocket Trumpet is finished in satin gold and lacquered over the top - perhaps it's not REAL gold?

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Remember all those "Selman" bass trumpets on eBay the past several months advertised as "below cost"? I couldn't find one of the nasty things listed just now, but I recall that their ads specified that they were silver lacquered (didn't say squat about plating). On top of that, they specified cellulose lacquer in one part of the ad, epoxy lacquer in another. If your horn refinisher can offer you a choice of clear or gold lacquer, I don't know why there wouldn't be a silver lacquer for junk. It would have to be a lot shinier than aluminum paint.

Yes, I bought one of the things. It's playable, nice and shiny, and has a convincing sort of trombonish sound. I'm not betting on how long it'll stay together, though. I simply don't need a better bass trumpet than that (another way of saying I don't need a bass trumpet at all, just wanted to mess around with one).

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The silver plated trumpets will tarnish - go black - just like all silverware. A polish cloth will keep them in perfect condition. Bare brass will also tarnish.

Nickel plate may be lacquered, and painted will not be silver, but a silver colour...perhaps a satin finish paint lacquer. The Gold is usually clear over polished brass, Gold plated trumpets are more expensive, and rare.

On the low cost Chinese horns, you can be sure they are not Gold, but silver plate is not too expensive to do. There are a lot of Brass with Silver Plated Chinese products out there..

There is a place for the low cost Chinese horns, and the quality is getting better all the time. For those that just want to see if it works for them, with a small investment, then it is affordable to try. New Students/ returning players...perfect. Long term life player, then not likely.

I have a few Chinese horns, and quite happily play them at rehersals, or just to play. They are OK, and quite often surprise people who play them just to try out. In the end you get what you pay for, and consistency, quality, reliability and resale issues drive investment...Bach Strad is the Benchmark. But I am happy to play my Chinese horn next to a Strad at rehersal, and not feel in anyway ashamed. My favourite horn to just grab and play is one of my BG Bb horns. A tri-colour copy of the Yamaha YTR-6335. Can't tell the difference, as I have sat beside one in a concert band, and swapped horns. Both of us were surprised at the similarity.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  8. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    Not sure but on my old student horn it was all lacquered but some of the instrument was "gold" colored, some was "silver" colored. I think that the gold was obviously looking through the lacquer at brass but maybe the silver was nickel? maybe the horn is nickel plated and then lacquered.

9. davidelf

davidelf New Friend

Dec 7, 2006
    If they're nickel plated then they're also laquered. Nickel plating doesn't stay shiny and new for very long like silver.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best way to really find out is to ask someone local that knows trumpet better than you.

We can only guesstimate, and without waiting for tarnish or "scratching" the horn to find out, local help is the only 100% solution!