New Comeback Player - Want to do it right

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, May 10, 2009.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I am a very cruel trumpet teacher.

Cruel.

The goal is to tire your muscles without exhausting them almost every day (like 6 out of 7--a Sabbath) and add one minute per day to your practice each day. Easy, right? No, cruel.

Have fun!

2. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I too returned after a 30 year layoff, been back for about 3 years now. Good news....it'll come back......slowly. Bad news....forget all that good stuff you had when you were younger, that's gone. That 24 year layoff.......negative investment in the horn playing, nothing you can do to get that back. Good news.....I found my horn playing & practice time MUCH more rewarding this go around. Just hang in there, long tones, learn to breathe again, leave the horn out (safely) and play what & when you can, and my favorite.....learn to read music again. It's still there waiting for you., glad I picked it back up, glad I found this place to get me back into the fold.....bests, chuck

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ric232,
    Rowuk has SOUND advice. I am a comebacker after 7 yrs off -- and am 45.
    long tones, very softly, scales slowly, light pressure on lips to mouthpiece (harder to understand than say). I developed a "pucker" thick lip type of embouchere instead of the "smile" thin lips that we were taught in grade school. but that is me -I also use an asymmetric mpc which supports my old lips better.
    and the whole crux of this is -- have fun -- don't frustrate yourself, it takes time and practice. I am 21 months into a comeback, and better than I ever was --- BUT the first 6-7 months-- now that was difficult.
    time, patience, fun, focus, repetition, endurance comes with time spent on the horn. long tones, long tones, and more practice that is all it takes, practice.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    20 minutes practice, 20 minutes rest, 20 minutes practice, 20 minutes rest, 20 minutes practice ... if you haven't gotten where you wanna be, try again tomorrow.

The objectives in order of importance (IMO) 1. Tone & Sound 2. Stamina and dedication, 3. Agility(speed with variance).

Put all these under your arm along with your trumpet and you'll fare well. Most hymn types out of hymnals are not that difficult. It is a lot of other special pieces that a choir gets that may have you look at the ceiling. How often I've told a choir director such music isn't in a key for my instrument and gotten away with it. Well one choir director thought such excuse wouldn't work for the key of C! Never played in his church again. I just can't believe no one in that congregation or choir was wise to him.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's not about how long you practice, it's about what, why and HOW you practice. The HOW being the most important. The trumpet is a very unforgiving instrument. If you don't learn good playing habits, you'll be continually frustrated. The only way to learn good playing habits and develop your embouchure is to get a good teacher. I have a number of comeback players as students and I help them reach their goal of playing well enough that they can enjoy playing music.