New cornet player - first post

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by larry newman, Dec 22, 2005.

1. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Hi all...

It's great to find a forum like this...!

I'm strictly an amateur player, in a British style brass band.

This winter, I've promised myself to practice every day, which, for me, will be about a 900% increase...It'll be interesting to see the difference...already I notice a big increase in tone quality, after 2 weeks.

The Benge listed is on its way to me...I think this is Kanstul's first design of this type, built in 1979 or so, which he is now producing as the ZKC 1530. The sound is reputedly very mellow (too cheap to buy a flugel, but I dig the sound), esp. with the D.Wick 2B I use.

The Benge has a raw brass finish, which i know nothing about, save that it's hip on the west coast...what does one do to care for this finish? Any hints would be greatly appreciated..

2. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    CORNETS

Hey Larry,

Welcome to the 'Trumpet Master'

The Benge 8Z is a great cornet.

I bet it would really sing with the new Sparx 2* cornet mouthpiece :oops:

Cheers,
    Ted

www.sparxmusic.com

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Care of raw brass largely depends on what you (or your section mates) want or expect the cornet to look like. If the dark, dull, olive-brown appearance of fully tarnished raw brass is acceptable to you and the band, then the only question is whether your skin will continue to react with the brass. Some players don't have any problems playing raw brass instruments, while others find that their hands turn green and smell unpleasant afterwards. If you have this sort of problem, you should be able to get a Leather Specialties hand guard that wraps around the valves and has flaps and extensions that prevent most all skin-to-brass contact.

If you want a shiny finish, you're looking at a future full of polishing. There are any number of metal polishes that will clean up a tarnished raw brass instrument and make it shiny. A layer of non-abrasive car wax or "museum wax" will do a lot to preserve the shine, and a hand guard, as described above, will help prevent your hands from wearing off the wax.

If it were me, I'd have the cornet refinished, but that would involve some expense.

4. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Thx, John...yes, I was thinking of silver plating it, as i bought it for a third of a new Kanstul price...

Any sources for such work ?

5. regularsopguy

regularsopguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    You should send it to Kanstul in California. They do their own plating. Almost anywhere else you send it, it goes to Anderson plating. (I've heard stories of thumbprints and blemishes, not to mention a thin plating job. Maybe someone could offer their story on this?)

I recently had an old soprano bugle (kanstul) plated. it came out to about $220 I think, and it looks as new as the day it was made.

6. forgetful86

forgetful86 New Friend

Nov 10, 2008
    I currently have a raw brass Blackburn and have recently experienced the tarnish problem. Can you give me some of these polishes that will solve this issue.

Thanks!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I use silversmiths copper polish on my raw brass horns. If you get any in the horn be sure and give it a good bath afterwards. i also have the leather Specialtie guards on all my horns to keep my hands from smelling after playing. I love the sound of raw brass