New Ebay Fraud........

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by bandman, Apr 9, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Be careful if you get an E-mail that says "Final warning" from Ebay amd tells you that information concerning your credit card is out of date. They give you a link and at that link ask you to re-enter your credit card information. They tell you that if you don't d o it your Ebay account will be cancelled.

All of the Ebay logos are there, and the website looks very real and official.

I must admit I clicked the link which gave my IP - OUCH :oops:

They did not get the information because I got suspicious and forwarded the Email to [email protected] and sure enough I found out it was a fraud attempt.

Today I got an almost identical E-mail saying someone tried to get my Ebay information and to enter all my information so they could check my Paypal account. Yep, like I was going to fall for that same line twice! I don't think so.

Just be careful, there are some not so nice people out there that would love to steal your credit card information.

2. soontir2432

soontir2432 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    Be on the lookout for e-mails that say your eBay/PayPal account will be suspended. Those are so wrong in so many levels, because they can cause you to be irrational and panic upon seeing the subject title. (I was for a minute, but my e-mail warned me well. :) )

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Speaking of eBay fraud, there was a Monette Ajna on ebay last week for a very low price. I put a bid in, but was outbid in the end. A day or so later, I get a very ominous email from ebay saying that, for reasons they cannot reveal, they cancelled the auction and suspended the guy who was selling the horn. Anyone know anything about it? The guy was new to ebay and the listing said the horn was located in London. Just curious.
    -Jimi

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Yeah, the lister is one of several scammers that work through London. If you see a high priced horn listed by somebody with little or no feedback, and the origin is in England----run!

These losers are actually somewhere in Eastern Europe---apparently Prague for the most part. They run a lot of instrument scams on e-bay all of the time. There have been several folks over on the 'other' forum who reguarly alert e-bay to these scams and e-bay seems to finally be getting serious about the problem. Go with the old adage of 'if it looks to good to be true--it probably is!'.

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is that the one that keeps getting posted as a "must sell for $1300?"

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    BBW,
    Not sure. I don't usually look on ebay, so it was just coincidence that the day I looked there was a cheap Ajna. I emailed the guy asking him if he would do escrow and never got a reply. The bidding ended around 5 grande, so I wasn't even in the race anyway.
    -Jimi

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    m6 (is my jazz nomenclature correct?),
    This looks like a very similar instrument, however, it's located within the US and the starting price is much higher. Also, they are using paypal, so I would think that you could get some kind of insurance.
    If you still have questions, it might be worth calling up Tom Rainey (sp?) at the Monette office. One of the pictures appears to show the serial number, 1713, so you have a good way of identifying the instrument when you talk to them. From what I gather, the shop keeps a file on each instrument they make, so they might be able to tell you a little about it.
    My guess is that the auction is for-rizzle (legit). You might also contact the seller and ask about escrow. That usually scares off the scammers.
    -Jimi

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Yup, there it is again! (Methinks)
    -Jimi