New Eclipse Shop

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, May 8, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Leigh has sent me some pictures of his new shop to post. He's been really busy lately with orders for new horns (as you can see) as well as repairs and apologizes for not being as active a poster as in the past.

Unpacking

[​IMG]

Unpacked (and packed!)

[​IMG]

A bit more organisation. From the roll of bubblewrap hanging from the ceiling I suspect this is the "shipping department".

[​IMG]

Lots of flugel orders

[​IMG]

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And a couple more

Lacquer spray booth

[​IMG]

Baking oven

[​IMG]

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Looks good. I'd like to see some more!

4. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    Ed,
    I was there on Friday. It seems to be all fully functioning, just a few 'cosmetics' and minor things to finish off. The players room is fabulous, the best I've seen at any shop in the UK. Spent a couple of ours with Noel Langley and Leigh choosing which Elcipse to get. Huge thanks to both of them, it was some of the best fun I've had in a long time. Noel was very generous with his time; I'm pretty sure he just did it to help, and he helped a huge amount. Still haven't got a proper coffee machine though but Noel's putting a lot of pressure on Leigh about this one. Only a matter of time I'm sure.

Rich.

5. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Thanks Ed for posting those pics. His new shop looks great - I like all the instruments hanging from the ceiling! I am looking forward to visiting Leigh and his new shop in the summer.

Good luck to all at Eclipse with their new factory (does this mean our Eclipse instrument will be classics in the future as they were built at the original factory in Dunstable!!!)

All the best,

Graham.

6. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Rich - when you were at the factory did you see the new Cornet at all - is it nearly ready - if so did you play it? What's the news here and after reading your post does it mean that your new trumpet has the body of the MHY but bell of the MY? If so what was the thinking behind this and what about doing it the other way round - the body of the MY with the bell of the MHY?... and how does the one you are getting compare to the MR?

Graham.

7. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    Graham,

I saw the cornet's bell and I've previously seen a box of bits that was going to be the first cornet (at the old workshop). I asked Leigh about why it wasn't finished and he just pointed to a whiteboard that they use to manage the repair jobs they've got on. It was full. I think the cornet's taken a bit of a back seat to actual customer orders at the moment, but I'm sure it'll get done soon enough. I actually grew up playing cornet in brass bands, so I'm really curious to see what it's like. Leigh's promised to let me play it.

The trumpet that I got originally started life as a MHY but the only difference between that and the MY is the thickness of the material in the bell. Now that the bell and tuning slide have been swapped for standard weight ones, it's just like any other MY, except for the sound. I'm not sure exactly what Leigh did, he'd have to comment himself, but it worked. The MR was lovelly and warm sounding, the first MY had a really clean clear sound with lots of focus and 'meat' to it, but lacked a little of the warmth and richness I was looking for. The MY has a slightly 'commercial / showtune' edge to it compared with my Bach 180-37, although if the MY was also lacquered, I think that aspect of the sound would be similar but it would also affect the response. The MY that I eventually chose has that extra bit of warmth and richness, about half way to the MR sound, but because it wasn't lacquered, still has the original incredible response. That's why I'm gold plating it; I don't want to lose that feeling at all. It's significantly better than my Bach in the stave, but streets ahead in sound, response and intonation from about F (top of stave) upwards. Clear as mud?

Dunstable Eclipses vs Luton Eclipses? I think they'll all be classics, because they're the same instruments made by the same people using the same tools. In a few years time, after Leigh and John have made their millions by selling out to Conn-Selmer-Music-Group and Leigh is sitting in his office in a big leather chair with a fat cigar and a glass of brandy (or a vodka and Mountain Dew), and never has to get his hands dirty any more, we'll all be talking about the old Luton and Dunstable classic Eclipses and how the Elkhart Eclipses are just pale imitations trading on the former glory of the name ;-) .

Rich.

8. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for the information which was very interesting. I started on the Cornet too in Brass bands in Lancashire so will be interested like you how his Cornet plays. I am sure it will be a killer though as Britain has to be the best place to design a new cornet with the players we have to help test/develop it and Leigh isn't going to build anything that doesn't withhold his fantastically built reputation with the Bb, C and flugel.

Graham.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Interesting pics.
    Where are the "crumpets" ?

Robert Rowe

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    In the office with the "strumpets". I decided not to post that picture. :bleah: