New edition of Stamp with play-along CDs available

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dambly, Jan 9, 2006.

1. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    The new 9th Edition of the Stamp Warmups + Studies, which includes play-along CDs in B-flat and C, is now availble online at Sheet Music Service of Portland.

http://sheetmusicservice.com/mercantool/mtool.pl?command=productpage_show&product=105476

The play-along material on the CDs is all new and covers the major exercises in the book, and was composed by Thomas Stevens.

You can also order directly from the publisher, Editions BIM. Complete information is available on the publisher's website:

About the book:
    http://www.editions-bim.com/stamp

About the CDs:
    http://www.editions-bim.com/stamp2

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I received my copy this weekend and hope to try it out this week.

3. hunsicker

hunsicker New Friend

Oct 4, 2004
    Reno, NV
    Anyone seen the CDs available seperately?

4. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    TMers,

For the record, I watched this project develop over the past 18 months and think it's marvelous. Do check it out. . .

Best,
    EC

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey TMers and Ed,

I had the opportunity to run through a few of these this evening and really enjoyed having the accompaniment. I have always liked Stamp and this makes it 'fresh' again. It gets two major thumbs up from me! :thumbsup:

I must add though, (FYI Ed) that there is a misprint on page 7. Measures 10 and 11 are the same. m11 should be down one half step. You might want to let BIM know about it. It is easy to figure out, but I am sure BIM would like future copies to be printed correctly.

6. someone

someone Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2006
    California
    I was planning on buying this book in febuary, and am glad that I will be able to get the new version. However, I have a question; I was planning on buying Roy Popoer's guide to the brass-playing of James Stamp (or whatever the book is called), do you think I still need that book if I get the one with the CD?

7. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    Hi Alex,

Glad you liked the Stamp Accompaniments! Thanks for your feedback. I have been told that BIM is aware of several printing errors in the new edition and that they will be corrected in the second printing.

Best,

-Tom

8. AndrewTomlinson

AndrewTomlinson New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    Yeovil Somerset UK
    New Edition of the Stamp Drills

Not good enough! Some sloppy proof-reading by BIM. I don't expect to buy a new edition (the 9th) of the Stamp drills only to find mistakes that weren't in the excellent 8th edition. How can this happen? Also, why on earth did they re-number the pages. Now it is out of sync with the Poper book and their own Wiener book on using the Stamp drills. They should either have left Tom Steven's introduction (pages 2 & 3) un-numbered, or used roman numerals to keep it numbered the same as the 8th edition. It's nice to have the CD's though rather than the awkward to use cassette.

What I would like to see next is a DVD with someone like Tom Stevens, Mario Guaneri or Bert Truax, explaining and demonstrating the Stamp concepts and performing some of the major exercises.

Andrew Tomlinson

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Even with the printing mistakes, it is still worth it. I really like having the accompaniment. It keeps you honest and makes doing these enjoyable in a new way. The CDs are not just block chords to play over. The harmonic playfulness is what makes these fun and keeps you listening. If you are familiar with the Stamp exercises, the misprints are not worth sweating over. It is only for newbies that this might be a bit of a problem. (but even then, I don't think so)

I still give it two thumbs up.

Andrew, I do not own the Poper nor the Wiener books, so I cannot comment. I guess it would be frustrating for the syncronization to get knocked out of whack like that though. A DVD with demonstration would probably be a nice idea. Maybe that will be the next thing on the horizon.

10. AndrewTomlinson

AndrewTomlinson New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    Yeovil Somerset UK
    Alex, sorry, I don't agree with you. BIM showed they could produce a first-class product when they published the Jim Thompson "Buzzing Book".

Jean-Christophe Wiener made corrections to an earlier edition of the Warm-ups+Studies when he edited the 8th edition. It is excellent.

The Warm-ups+Studies are standard fare now (like the Schlossberg Daily Drills & Technical Studies) there is really no excuse for publishing the exercises with mistakes. Something has gone wrong or someone has been careless.

Yes, advanced players will play them from memory or by ear.

But BIM need to get their act together - there are plenty of competitors who can produce mistake free publications. I shouldn't have to buy a second or third printing to get a mistake-free edition.

As BIM and Thomas Stevens say in the introduction. It's "the only authentic publication of James Stamp's work." The least they can do is to make it accurate and mistake free. A thumbs up for the CD's, but a thumbs down for a slightly inferior edition of the Stamp exercises.

Andrew Tomlinson