New edition of Stamp with play-along CDs available

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dambly, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh, I understand what you are saying Andrew. The last edition I have of Stamp is the fifth, so just having a new, purdy copy is fine with me. I really do understand where you are coming from though.

The CDs are a wonderful addition to this method.

2. AndrewTomlinson

AndrewTomlinson New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    Yeovil Somerset UK
    Yes, they are a very welcome addition, and make the Stamp exercises even more attractive to use for daily practice, and should become a best seller.

Andrew Tomlinson

3. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    I wrote to BIM and asked about the potential availability of a CD that is separate from the book. Here's the core text of the reply I received.
    Like many of you, I already have the book and only need the CD. I was happy to hear this news, and thought it was worth sharing. I will post a follow-up when they notify me that the separate CD is available.

4. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    I thought the print quality, especially the graphics, were inferior to earlier editions. The photos in this new edition are just grainy photocopies of the earlier edition, which were very nicely printed. This may degrade even more with other newer editions that are generated from photocopies of this one. The music pages were also reduced in print size a little, even though the book is physically the same size. Finally, the CD's are in paper envelopes glued to the back cover. Opening the CD's by digging the flap out of the glue messed up the back cover. Putting the CD's in a plastic sleeve, accessible from the front as done in many other books, would be preferred.

At first, the timbre of the electronic "trumpet/buzz" and the "tinkly harpsichord/piano" accompaniment bothered me. But after loading the tracks into my iPod and playing along with earbuds, the tinkly accompaniment was actually fine. I could hear it over my playing and the electronic "buzz" was covered by my sound. It also seemed just a bit flat to me, but I need to check again. And, of course, the rhythm is mechanically rigid.

Sorry for the gripes, but for a $27 book, I was expecting higher quality. It will still be useful for my students, but Bert Truax's DVD is also really good, with his actual demonstration of warm-up 3 and comments on how to play the pedal tones correctly. See www.berttruax.com (video lessons tab)

-Ken

5. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    Hi All,

Thanks for your comments.

I just received new copies of the second printing of the Stamp Warmups + Studies directly from BIM. The misprints on pages 5, 7, and 12 have been corrected.

The electronic accompaniment CDs were in fact produced with headphones (or earbuds) in mind, so that you can easily hear the treble and bass accompaniment lines while playing along, and so that the electronic "trumpet" line will be covered up if you are playing in tune. The CDs were produced referencing A = 440.

I too had a problem getting the CDs out of the envelopes without damaging the back cover, but got around it by cutting open the envelope tops with a pen knife.

Best Regards,

-Tom

6. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Earlier in this thread I posted information I got from BIM about the CD being available separate from the book. I followed up this week and learned that it proved more complicated than they thought to map the CD contents to earlier versions of the book.

Anyway, I thought I should post this update in case anyone else was waiting for a CD-only offering to be made available.

7. micsmith

micsmith New Friend

Feb 24, 2006
    Tampa
    Even with the misprints and the "nightmare" of having to cut out the CD, this project was well-done and is worth getting. I've used the Stamp warm ups for my entire career and having the CD to play against is a real asset. The mistakes in some of the exercises (reportedly being corrected in newer printings) can easily be dismissed with maybe a little intelligent thought so I really think all the whining about this should stop. Nobody seems to complain about the Real Book. Just play.

8. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    True, the misprints were not show-stoppers, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the publisher (Editions BIM) is now shipping copies in which the misprints on pages 5, 7, and 12 have been corrected. (The status of dealer stock may vary.)

For those of you keeping track of such details, I should point out that there was a structural mistake in previous editions that was fixed in this new edition:

The 8th edition had an extra (repeated) set of figures in Exercise 3a: the set of three figures that ascend to the third of the chord was printed twice.

The 9th edition removes that repeated line from Exercise 3a and adds a set of figures (at the bottom of page 12, CD track #32) that ascend to the fifth of the chord, to fill in the "gap" between figures that existed in previous editions.

That's one reason the CD doesn't fit the old editions.

-Tom