New exercices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Jul 27, 2009.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I have used the same exercices for almost ten years now, and now I want to try something new. I currently using Earl Irons 27 exercices, Arturos books vol 2-3, Charlier, Stamp and Clark.

Anyone have something to recomend? I've heard abut the Adams metod? Good, bad?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Jon,

the Adams is VERY good as is the Schlossberg. My favorite: Grand Methode by St. Jacome. This is as thick as the Arban book but has a lot ov velocity, articulation and scale studies as well as some of the best duets on the planet!

Other things that I have had fun with:
    Double C in 37 weeks by Roger Spaulding, Colin Top Tones, Flow Studies by Vincent Cichowicz, Systematic Approach to Daily Practice by Claude Gordon, 60 Selected Studies Vol.1 and 2 by Kopprasch

3. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Thanks rowuk, I've orderd the Schlossberg. Is the Adams metod the Schlossberg?
    Also orderd the Flow Studies, looks nice.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    There is the Thompson Buzzing Book (Editions BIM) which could replace or add onto the Stamp method.
    I also like two books published by Balquhidder: Concone Complete Solfeggi and Bel Canto Studies, both edited by John Korak as followups to my warmups each day -- they provide lots of opportunity to concentrate on lyrical playing before moving onto more technical work.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    If you like etudes, I always recommend the Bosquet 36 Celebrated Studies. I don't hear about them much, but I think they're excellent.

bigtiny

6. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I have the Bosquet already, and the Thompson Buzzing Book. I chek the others mentioned...thanks

bigtiny, if YOU like etudes, you should check out Verne Reynolds 48 etudes..:)

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I really like the Characteristic Studies in the Saint-Jacome Method. Studied them in High school.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

Hey, thanks for the tip. I've never heard of them, but I like to periodically get new ones, just to keep practice sessions fresh. I'll check them out...

thanks,

bigtiny

9. jazzman1222

jazzman1222 New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Acapulco, Mexico
    Hi, if you are talking about the "Adams Method" I assume you mean Bill Adam, the retired Trumpet Professor at IU. I studied from Mr. Adam and he never wrote a book, he felt that is was important to hear the sound as you were learning. He did use many method books as part of a daily playing routine. I will list some of these for you, but I highly recommend lessons from a former Adam student so you can understand his approach>Arban, Clark Technical studies, William Theik art of the Trumpet, Maxx Schlossberg daily drills, Robert Getchell Books 1 & 2, Max Potag, Vannetlebosch, Theo Charlier Etudes, etc. I could go on but this will get you started. I have seen some websites with examples of these routines, but really Mr. Adam taught to the individual student, so this is another reason its so important to find one of his former students.

PM me if you need more info,
    Ed

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, the Adams book is different than the Schlossberg. They do complement one another though.