new finish, yes, no ????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry huene, May 29, 2008.

1. larry huene

larry huene Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    after a long search I have purchased a committee in good shape both
    in the finish and structurally. I have been thinking about totally refinishing
    the horn. I know that some would say leave it alone, but after spending
    all that $$$ on something, why not go all the way. the finish is about 80%
    valves are good and just a few dings easily fixed. looks real good the way it is, but think about how it could be.
    need some feedback here, what would you do ?? new brass lacquer, gold lacquer, silver plate, gold plate.

larry

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm one of those, if the finish is original....:cool:

3. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    If the finish is 80 percent intact, I would absolutely, positively leave it alone.

I have only had one instrument re-lacquered, and the instrument sounded much less "alive" with the new lacquer on it.
    (I do not know if my experience was typical, though.)

Some instruments are in such bad shape that there is not much choice but to re-lacquer them.
    But 80 percent original lacquer intact is not bad shape, it is very good shape.

Based on what I have seen in eBay over the past year, I think I can safely say that your trumpet is worth more $$$ with 80 percent original lacquer than with 100 percent re-lacquer.
    (Except in the case of that eBay seller "alucard" who manages to ruin vintage instruments and then sell them for much more than they sold for new 50 years ago. I assume you are not thinking of having "alucard" refinish your Committe.)

The link below is what the Conn Loyalist Web site says about disadvantages of re-lacquer.
    (Yes, I know that Conn did not make the Committee, but the article is relevant to all great vintage instruments.)

The Conn Loyalist

By the way, have you thought about cutting down your Bb Committee to make it a C Committee?
    Just joking... there was this other thread ... :D

- Morris

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Hello,
    So far, I agree with what everyone else has said...

If you have a Committee with any kind of original finish, keep it original!! You never know what a new finish could do to the sound.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers

5. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I'm of the mind it's your horn and, assuming you plan on keeping it, you should do what you want.

I just had a 37 year old horn that I bought new restored and plated in silver. I did it for me - not for what others think. I'm not going to sell it - ever - so I did what made me happy.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If the dings are easily fixed, get someone competent to do just that. You can always reconsider a new finish later.
    I'd play it for a good while before doing anything. Decisions about refinishing are easier to make once you really know the horn.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You know what, your audience could care less, they just want refined notes coming out of the front.

The geeks will see an original Committee and without playing a note you will be cool and authorative. The very young kids in the local wind band will like shiny better. There are some of us (like me) that would just get the laquer ENTIRELY removed. That is consistent, non invasive and for the geeks even cooler and more authorative!

I think it is riskier to get a horn relaquered. The chance of the sound changing for the worse is greater than with silver or gold plate.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I totally agree with Robin. To add to his statements, I would have you ask yourself if you are still young enough to play this horn for an extended number of years, or, if you will have to either sell it, or have your heirs do so in the foreseeable future. An example in point; I am 72 years old and in relatively poor health, thus, I have to look at the collectors market influence on anything that I buy. This is to protect my heirs from the real losses that WILL occur upon my demise, if I do 'ANYTHING' to any of my horns that reduce their value after I am gone. To relacquer that old Martin will definately reduce it's saleability and value on the current market. It's your horn and also, your choice. Please contemplate carefully.

OLDLOU>>

9. trumphat

trumphat New Friend

Mar 14, 2007
    I have a friend that had his original '47 Committee - he got it new in high school- overhauled and re-lacquered a few years ago. He does not like the way the horn plays or sounds. I have a 1950, hardly any finish left, and would not think to have it done. It plays and sounds great! Leave yours as is and enjoy it for what it is. Just my opinion.

10. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Hi, I have a 1947 committee that I purchased from the original owner, no dents and has a wonderful old finish. I think if a horn is not beat up with major dents that it should be kept in its original finish.If not, whatever floats your boat! ----Gar:cool: