New flugel, no where to play it!!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Sep 28, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I purchased a Kanstul ZKT1525 Flugel recently and since it arrived it has been collecting dust. What a sad realization that hardly any music ever calls for a flugel part. Did I waste a bunch of money!! I just wondered if any of you out there get a lot of use from your flugels and in what setting?? I am not currently in a jazz group so I may be screwed.....I did notice a relatively new trend these days though. I have been noticing artists who substitute flugel for the middle movements of concertos or solos. Maybe I will have to blaze some new trails out here in Colorado....anyway, enough rambling. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.....

Jon

2. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    That's exactly why I bought a relatively cheap one. I knew it would sit on my stand and only be used on the odd Big Band chart. One of the guys in our trumpet section refers to his as his most expensive mute, that makes me chuckle.
    The only person that gets any real use out of his flug in our band is the guy playing the majority of the jazz in the pad.
    I bought a gold plated Weril Excalibur before they stopped making them. It's a nice looking horn and plays nice too.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well, if you happen to play in a small group... say a "trumpet"choir or maybe a brass quintet you can use it effectively. It's also handy for playing cues if your tenor sax fails to show up for a band rehearsal etc. If you want to experiment with some jazz ballads, Mangione stuff, anything like that it'll come in handy too.

I also used to use mine during practice just "for the experience" of a different feel. I now use the cornet for the same thing having loaned the flugel out to a friend.

I reckon if it's paid for and you don't need the $$, hang onto it. You'll always have one of the better "backup horns" around!

4. keith e miland

keith e miland New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    Winona, MN
    Jon,

I don't know where you are in Colorado, but in Colorado Springs (Manitou Springs) ithere is a British Style brass band. There is a written part for a flugel horn. These bands usually don't carry more than one person on a part with the exception of 2nd Cornet, 3rd Cornet and the BBb Tuba and EEb tuba parts. And I didn't mistype, it's Cornets, trumpets are not allowed.

You can probably get in touch with them through WWW.NABBA.org. If that is not an option, NABBA has a bunch of information on their website on how to start a British Style brass band.

Good luck.

5. Kanstul-Krazy

Kanstul-Krazy New Friend

Apr 18, 2004
    York, PA
    Jon,

I use my Kanstul CCF925 alot! I'm using it in our church Worship Team (orchestra) nearly every week on a song or two. Also, I play it alot in my other group I belong to, a more contemporary rock worship band: www.measureofgrace.com
    I use it probably on 1/4 of the songs we play during a gig.

Hey, maybe you should think about playing in church. After all, it's an eternity thing we're talking about here! :wink: