New gear day...cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Dave_3, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's exactly what I do. I can't count how many auctions I've lost by $1, but continuing to bid past what you are willing to pay is usually a bad idea. Even with the "set a max bid and turn the computer off" method, cornets can still be accumulated, though...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. N1684T

N1684T Mezzo Piano User

Jun 28, 2016
    I generally wait till there is 20 seconds left. If its still under what i want to pay, i will bid then. Not enough time to bid again, thus breaking my rule;)

So all you guys who has someone raise the price before an auction closes? Thats me....Sorry;)

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Sniping works against those who did not bid their maximum amount to begin with. It does not work, by definition, against those of us who do bid our various maxima. (The sniper can still win, but he's got to be willing to pay more than anybody else.)

The 'current' price, before the auction actually ends, is nearly meaningless. Only a fool would assume that it won't move pretty substantially as the auction ends. It might not, of course, but don't count on it.

4. ButchA

ButchA Piano User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Congrats on the cornet. They are sweet sounding and add a different flavor to the common "trumpet sound"! :play: