New Guy Here- Hello

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ryanherwin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ryanherwin

ryanherwin New Friend

Jun 7, 2012
    I have a question (maybe a dumb one) but I recently bought a mid 60’s Blessing Artist trumpet. While I was getting it set up and cleaned I got out my old 70’s King Cleveland 600 beater trumpet from middle school that I hadn’t played in 25 years or more. To my amazement I have found that the King Cleveland sounds much better (to my ear) and plays much better than the 60’s Blessing Artist model.
    Is this just a function of my perception or does have something to do with the KC being a smaller bore horn thus it is easier to play?

Thanks in advance.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM. I have three old large bore Blessings: a 1950 Standard trumpet; a 1952 Super Artist trumpet; and a 1960 Standard cornet. Modern industry-standard mouthpieces do not work well in my horns. Attempts to use modern mouthpieces have been really disappointing. When I use period-correct Blessing vintage mouthpieces the horns sing. These mouthpieces have different shank lengths, tapers, orifices and back-bores than modern mouthpieces. I use old Blessing 13's and 15's, which are not too difficult to find. This may not be your problem, but it was mine. Good luck!
    Jim

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have a King 600, and it is a good player -- My opinion is that they are underated trumpets ----