New guy here, with a question!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by funBox, Sep 13, 2010.

1. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Hey guys, just joined a minute ago, so I figured "why not make my first post?:D

I was curious if any of you have ever had response issues, (after playing long pieces, towards the middle of the piece if I have any jump a fourth or higher, my lips stop buzzing completely and my horn makes a nice sound of nothing!), and for those of you who have, what you did to correct it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay. I believe what you are talking about is a lack of air or at least support. Make sure you are using a steady stream of air.

3. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I'll give it a try! Thanks

4. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Oh man, that happens to me all the time. What I usually do (and this isn't really helpful in a band scenario) is take a nice break. I don't know if it actually helps or not, but often I suck on an icecube. I feel much more fresh after, and then I'm ready to try again. Sometimes, I just can't do it. That requires a day-long break. I think it's very normal though. How far can you work a muscle before it stops responding, right? If I can't stand not practicing for a day though, I just play nice quiet long tones. Good luck! And welcome :)

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This sounds a very reasonable proposition - I occasionally suffer this when I don't concentrate - I've pencilled in breath marks (mostly at rests or the end of long notes) about every eight bars - sometimes it needs to be a bit shorter - but a decent breath, and good control of the corners of the mouth do wonders.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi funbox,
    You ask:
    I was curious if any of you have ever had response issues, (after playing long pieces, towards the middle of the piece if I have any jump a fourth or higher, my lips stop buzzing completely and my horn makes a nice sound of nothing!), and for those of you who have, what you did to correct it.
    ---------
    All of those symptoms are fairly classic manifestations of poor air usage and too much mouthpiece pressure.
    What to do?
    1) try this:
    a)Put the mouthpiece in the horn and take the tuning slide out.
    b)Place the mouthpiece to your lips and only use enough mouthpiece pressure to create a seal.
    c)play(buzz) a nice "soft" long tone (should be a concert C#/Db or near there with the tuniing slide out).
    d)Once you have the buzzing sound soft and where it doesn't quiver, add a little mouthpiece pressure and listen to where the tone goes. It will go up as you push the mouthpiece against the lips and go down as you lessen the pressure against the lips.
    If your tone doesn't move, you're already pushing the mouthpiece against the lips too much.
    e) OK, Now you know that pushing the mouthpiece against the lips can and does change the pitch on a trumpet.
    f)Now, make a seal with the lips and mouthpiece and buzz the leadpipie again. This time use the corners of the lips to move the pitch. Those are the muscles you want to use.
    ------------
    To strengthen those corner muscles, do lip slurs or (sometimes known as) bugle calls like revelle, taps and other lipslur activities. Just be sure to slur and not tongue. When you do this, go through all 7 valve positions and go as low and as high as you can while maintaining a good round soft warm sound that's not blatty or harsh.
    The 7 valve positions are:
    Take one at a time and do SOFT! lips slurs(buglecalls)
    Do lip slurs for each valve position one minute each. This will be very hard since you are using a new set of muscles (corners of the lips) and yes, this exercise will kick your butt.
    However, if you do these exercises for one honest minute for each valve postition, you'll be a very happy person with your playing when Christmas comes. Be sure not to fall back to the old habit of using mouthpiece pressure when the exercise gets hard.
    Unfortunately, learning something on the trumpet usually takes a while since not only do you have to hear what needs to be done, your body needs to respond to what needs to be done. That's why I say by the time Christmas gets here.
    -------
    Next, watch Urban Angas videos "youtube" on Flow. Pay close attention when he talks about posture, how to breath and relaxation.
    Hope this helps, Good luck

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Thanks for the input guys! Especially Markie, wow you must type like a god =P

My private instructor has me doing lip slurs out of Earl Iron's book, (I'm currently doing 7 and 8 at around 120 BPM, which has been boggling both my mind and my instructors!) We came to the conclusion yesterday at my last lesson that I was, in fact, using WAAAAAY too much pressure.

She's now having me do long tones by holding my horn with one hand from the top, so that I learn to utilize my air solely to create a pitch, instead of applying pressure. I also plan on giving your suggestion a try, Markie. A trumpet player who is currently getting his master's where I go to school recommended something similar.

Suffice to say, my play time today while warming up was difficult, but surprisingly more relaxed and enjoyable, (and less painful xD).

If you guys can think of anything else to try, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    -Brandon