New guy needing advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet_Ian, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Trumpet_Ian

Trumpet_Ian New Friend

Feb 21, 2016
    Justin, TX
    Hiya!

I'm wanting to start playing my horn again after 25+ years. At one time I was a decent (albeit cocky, arrogant and snotty) player, but no longer.

Is there a particular thread you guys would recommend I read?

It has been so long that I'm not even sure what bad habits I've developed, though it would appear that I'm getting a lot of back pressure (if that's correct term) when I try to play high anything over a G above staff.

I've been using a Bach 1C mouthpiece, but have a 3C, and a 7 as well - any recommendations on a good one to use just starting off? I also have a Schilke 13A4A, but that seems like a terrible, terrible idea at this point.

I welcome any and all input, on everything. I lost my ego a long time ago and decided that I'll learn a lot more by listening than talking. :-)

I sincerely appreciate any advice you guys can offer. Thanks in advance!

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Wilkommen!

Search for "Circle of Breath".

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    With no other info about your playing, I would suggest using the 7C or the 3c. A 1C is very large. Most teachers start a student in a 7C.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll ask at what playing level you began your hiatus, and what do you expect to achieve by now resuming. Otherwise IMO a 1C would be tough for me above the G, but then I don't purposely go there and when I need to, I'd be playing my Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet. Of the mpcs you mention, I'd chose the 3C for versatility. Of the instruments you list, you've at least 2 good ones ... but I'd still have a competent tech check them out after they've been put away so long. I resumed after a 40+ year hiatus and was forced into more for months due to health and dentures.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    A trumpet player who is (was) cocky, arrogant and snotty? Never heard of this before. :cool:

Welcome to TM. Lots of comeback players here, myself included. I've been playing now for about 8 years, after a 20+ year break.

I agree with the suggestion to consider the 3C or 7C. Of course, everyone is different. But all things being equal, a middle-of-the-road mouthpiece is a good place to start.

Mike

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My God good man, don't loose your edge, after all you ARE a trumpet player, right? Welcome to TM where coming to cockus is the right thing to do.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You would think a doctor could afford to have mirrors in the house for crapping out loud!

(How's that for cocky, arrogant and snotty?)

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know what you're talking about. ;-)

(I guess you can add "sarcasm" to the list.)

Mike

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That works for me;-)

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Isn't that a prerequisite?? :roll:

:welcome::welcome::welcome::wave::wave::wave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave: