New guy needing advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet_Ian, Feb 28, 2016.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not be argumentative, they don't have be transposed. I play the notes as they are on the page. It's not a transpositional exercise. It's just getting your lips in shape. Practice the Baptist then learn transposition on the Lutheran! :roll:

2. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    Hey Ian, I'm new around here too. Nice to know that I'm not only one restarting the journey. See a lot of other comeback players here as well, but good to know there are otheres in the same time.

3. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    I too am a come back, been at it 3+ years after a 50 year hiatus. I don't have reasonable access to a teacher and besides I know it all. Wrong! I floundered around with my ca.1955 Arban and have a pile of books recently purchased many of which I don't use. I got a copy of Mitchell On Trumpet Book 1 to help my grandson improve and found out it's structured approach and commentary were what I really needed to get myself on track. I started out on lesson 4 or 5 and have stuck with it, a lesson a week and am nearly ready for Book 2. Applying Rowuk's principals and really listening to myself while playing these simple (at first) lessons have been great for me. My range has developed slowly to a decent C3 and endurance and intonation have greatly improved. Other books I use are Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities ( more fun than Irons) Arban, Schlossberg and Clark Technical Studies,especially 1,2 and 3. I also play in 4 community bands Which you should do as soon as you can. Great fun and good motivator.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only 4?? Buying books that don't get used was a problem I too encountered upon my comeback. New rule: Can't buy one until you've played all the others (unless it's a really good one that you know will put you over the top ROFL)!

5. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    Three summer bands, one fall/winter/spring band. I'm semi retired so I can participate most of the time. I have almost broken my addiction to buying books but sometimes I read about one and start quivering and sweating. It's so hard to quit.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Been there, still trying not to do it!

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And the heart

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    "A trumpet player who is (was) cocky, arrogant and snotty? Never heard of this before."

A little redundant, wouldn't you say?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't want to get religious! :roll::roll::roll: