New guy with a question about my Olds Ambassador Fullerton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hogan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hogan

hogan New Friend

Dec 16, 2012
    Dug out my Olds trumpet this last weekend. It is the first time I have seen it since high school (1975)
    I was given this trumpet by my great aunt who lived in Hawthorn Ca. and worked in a music store.
    Have asked my family if anybody is interested in it, and nobody raised their hand. Looking at selling it so it may be used.
    Not sure of the value, but it is in very good condition with 95% of the original lacquer, one very small dent in the top tube.
    All tuning slides are free and operational, and the valves are all in very good condition. Has the original case and mouth piece puller in original box in excellent condition.
    Looking for information on where to sell it and how much.

I thank you for your response in advance.

almost forgot serial number. 532702 on number 2 valve

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    It sounds like a nice vintage horn. Olds Ambasadors are highly liked, but not scarce so the value wont be high. Check on Ebay for sales of like merchandise and you can judge for yourself what you should be asking for it. Why not start playing again????????????? Im jus sayin, there are a lot of comeback players here and we could always use one more. Best wishes.

3. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Welcome to TM! I'm sure you'll find a buyer if you put a fair enough price on it.
    Try posting this in a different thread and if possible include pictures.:cool:

4. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Would ebay be an option?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Take the dent out for $30 and perhaps you can get more back on the sale.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Depending on where you live, they sell pretty easily on Craigslist too.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Some music stores will sell on consignment. 80/20 or 75/25 split is what I've seen as customary. I've got An Ambassador that appraised at $325 (retail of course) and I might go that route. I would get @ $245ish which I think is really good for my horn. Yours is a Fullerton horn which some think makes not as good as an L.A. Olds. I don't know since I've never played one. I would fix the dent!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Another option would be to give it away to an organization which would put it in the hands of a grateful young aspiring musician:Welcome to Instrumental Change!

They will give you a receipt and you could deduct it as a charitable donation on your tax return.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I once bought a Fullerton ambassador on e-Bay for $350, fixed a slight crease in the bell for $20 and sold it back on e-Bay for $450. It was OK but didn't play nearly as nice as an LA model I had tried earlier. Since then I found an early Fullerton that looks just like an LA model and it plays great.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have never played an LA Ambassador, but I recently got my Fullerton back, 501xxx vintage, and am not sure if it was Tom Green's refurbishing or the original horn, but it plays like a dream, and I am using it now more than my Recording. Still use the Martin Committee for main gigs, but this Ambassador has a nice rich dark sound in the lower register that comes close to the Committee. It is too accurate however in this range and is nothing like the Committee in the ability for texturing notes.