New horn at last!!....Wb 1600 with copper bell

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Aug 30, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Well after over four months I finally got the horn I ordered but it is not quite what I expected!! I ordered a WB with a lightweight copper bell thinking it would be a bit darker and lighter than the regular WB. Well as it turns out the horn is much heavier, and off the charts brighter than the original. I may need to have lightning engraved on this thing. I think I can knock a wall over with it. Can you imagine my horror when my first playing experience was in an orchestra!! Anyway, I am still deliberating between this horn and the regular WB. One interesting note, when I put heavy valve caps on this horn it does darken significantly but of course you loose all the flexibilty and ease of playing. I am requesting a rounded tuning slide to see if it will help the horn blend a little better. Does anyone know why copper would make a horn so incredibly bright. I always thought it did just the opposite. Oh well. I will keep you updated on my play testing. Here are some pics for you guys. Yes it's ugly. Just pretend it isn't and say nice things to me :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v289/aevin/ use password: flugel

Jon

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My only guess as to why the horn is brighter is that copper has a different response than standard brass. In my experience, copper has a faster response, but that could just be me.

It's funny that this horn ended up being brighter. I would have thought that it would have been much darker too.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What does the horn sound like from the other side of the bell?

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'm thinking that when you had them make it a lightweight bell, that's what made the tone so bright.

Am I the only one who saw an amazing resemblance to the ZKT1500, only with a brushed finish?

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Lightweight metal has more impact than the alloy, in general (of course, lead of any useable thinkness would likely sound dark). So, if you previously had a standard weight yellow-brass bell and went to a light weight copper bell, then the copper would likely be brighter. If you'd gone to a standard weight copper bell then it would have likely been darker (assuming the same gauge of metal).

Dave

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Schilke found that projection was substantially higher with his lightweight copper bells:

Quote:

"These bells are very light weight, almost unbelievably so, and as the Schilke brochure states, "project very well with more of the 'higher overtones' present....at all dynamic levels." Research into the projection of comparable brass and beryllium bells by Schilke found that over a given distance a drop in sound level of 5% was recorded for the beryllium bells, compared to 12% for a brass bell."

End Quote.

from Jim Donaldson's excellent Schilke Loyalist site

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/

I use the very heavy Olds Recording which has a 7/1000" red brass bell with a tight flair and it's very bright - I can cut through just about anything if I want to, and that translates into not having to work as hard at appropriate dynamic levels in a big band.

7. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    My Schilke B5 also has a copper bell and it will light up in a heart beat. I think the copper being bright or not has to do with other aspects of the horn the copper bell is mounted on.