New horn gets "gurgly" fairly quick.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fureak, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Fureak

Fureak New Friend

Feb 15, 2011
    Greetings everyone! I just bought a new Carol Brass CTR-700 and it seems to get "gurgly" fairly quick and when I go to use the water keys almost nothing comes out (plenty of air and some water does come out so they are not clogged) and there is still some "gurglyness", any ideas? Maybe its just the way I am playing it? Usually I have to invert it to have the water, which is a lot, come out of the bell which clears it up briefly.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am having a similar problem. What I do is hold down all three valves and both liquid ports and blow hard. The liquid ports are ergonomically located so I can get them both with my left hand so it isn't a big deal.

I think it is either the first or second valve that is having the problem, but when I hold all the valves down I think most of the moisture goes out the third valve.

3. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Try the water keys one at a time - the main key with no valves down, and then the third-slide key with valves down. The first key comes before any of the valves, so holding them down isn't going to help clear liquid through it. Doing them one at a time will focus the air at each location.

- Steve-O

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I have the same issue on a couple of my horns...I have resorted to stuffing part of a soft rag into the bell, then blowing with the water keys open. This will evacuate all of the fluid very quickly!