New Horn - Wish Me Luck!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trickg, Apr 14, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Tomorrow evening I am going to buy a new/used trumpet...or at least I think I am.

I have wanted a Schilke for a long time and a guy I know traded in a Schilke B6 for a gold plated B1 recently. Because I knew both who he traded it to and whom he worked with, I put in a call to have them hold it for a short time while I figured out if I was going to be able to swing it. I wanted to buy it outright prior to the trade a couple of weeks ago, but I just couldn't come up with that much spare cash at the time.

So, I'm going tomorrow to see what it's all about. I'll post more if I come home with it.

2. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    good luck man lemme know how it goes!!

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Hey man, I hope the horn is exactly what you've been looking for! :-)

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Gary, you know I'd get an Eclipse if I thought that the budget could handle it, but with all of the home improvement projects that I have going these days, mustering enough "extra" for even a used Schilke is a bit of a challenge. :oops:

But, what I do know about this Schilke is that it is in mint condition, and it was built prior to Schilke being bought, so it is going to have the same level of workmanship as all of the classic Schilkes, not that the new ones don't. Plus, it being a B6, (Medium step bore - what the original Yamaha Z horn was designed after if what I have heard is true) it should be just what the doctor ordered for the rock band playing that I do.

I'll know soon enough! :D

5. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    If a Schilke suits you fine, everyone dies happy!
    Buy a horn you fall in love with...
    ... kinda reminds me of some golf advice I recieved one time - "be loyal to clubs that work". :D

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You're picking a great horn, man. Even though I have an Eclipse I still enjoy pulling out the B1 every once in a while "just for something different". Just make sure to take the time to find the right m/p for it (and you). Are you getting a case with it?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm not sure about a case - at the moment it is sitting in a ProTec single case, but I don't think it comes with one - I think that the ProTec case is a cheap way to protect it until it gets sold. A case is not a big issue though since I have two multi horn cases/bags and an empty Yamaha single hard case.

As for the mouthpiece that I am going to be using, I currently use a Schilke 14A4a and I have considered the possibility that this particular piece might be a bit tight for a horn that is already a pretty tight horn. I have a custom Scotty Holbert mouthpiece that might do the job though - the cup and rim is pretty similar to that of the 14A4a but the backbore is like a standard Bach backbore and is quite a bit more open, and that mouthpiece might work very well in the Schilke.

Also, I have always had a bit of an issue with the sound of the 14A4a - it has always been just a bit too edgy for my tastes, but it played well so I have always just dealt with it. Anyway, I have a Schilke 14A4 on order and that was before I pulled the trigger and decided to buy this horn. This mouthpiece might also be a better match than the 14A4a for this particular horn.

I'm counting the hours now.....tick tock tick tock......AAARG!!!! TOO SLOW! :D

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    yeah, the A4A can be overwhelming at times. I've found it can be helped somewhat by really just relaxing the throat, and letting the air just kinda "flow" through it. Works on my Studio, and that's far from a dark sounding horn. You could probably switch to the Schilke 14A4, which is nearly identical to the A4A but with a larger backbore.

Oh, and just to actually try to stay on topic, hope you enjoy the horn.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Mike, the horn that I have been playing for the last 8 years is a LB Bach Strad with a 25 bell - it is a darker sounding horn anyway so the 14A4a is probably going to be a bit much for the B6, however, given that I'm playing rock band, maybe not. I'm just worried about the horn feeling too tight but that can probably be fixed with the right backbore with the right mouthpiece. I don't suppose that it hurts that I am used to using a Schilke mouthpiece - shouldn't a Schilke mouthpiece in a Schilke trumpet be the perfect combination?

I've just been over to the Schilke Loyalist website doing some reading...and I'm more excited about it now than I was before!

2.5 hours until I leave to go down to get it, and I'm STOKED!!!!!!! :)

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, I bought it. My first "new" trumpet in 8 years. (Supposedly this horn is used, but it is absolutely mint and I can't imagine that it would be in any better shape if it was new)

Suffice it to say that this horn is brilliant, but with a tight core of sound and instant response. More details tomorrow.