NEW HORN!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrian, Oct 3, 2004.

1. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    That #50 leadpipe on the V1 blows too freely for many of us. I'd suggest that students stay away from it, in general.

Dave

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Recomendations:

Schilke - Trumpets worth stealing...

Bach Strads - Something no instructor will give you grief over...

Yamaha - Accepted anywhere kinda like Mastercard...

Callichio - Italians always make great looking stuff...

Lawler - Is his shop open with the stuff in flordia going on?

Eclipse - I hope I dont have to wait till the next total solar eclipse to try one...

-marc

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Marc, sounds like you need to get in touch with the guy who bought the Vortex and see if he'd like some company for a day ... seems to me I recall him posting that he had 100+ horns including THREE Eclipses... the Vortex, an Equinox and one other. He lives in Texas so........

(I mean, it's only one state, how big can it be!?)

PS. For those living in Texas.... I'm pulling Marc's leg.

4. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004

Oh....good. I had trouble seeing through all that sarcasim.

AndrewWk

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Adrian,

For you money it's worth trying any or all of the Kanstuls...I think all their pro trumpets are there or there abouts, money wise.

Lots of different models..if you look at the website you may notice that even in the descriptions there are hints as to what each one plays like.

Regards,

Trevor

6. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    All right tootsall...

Things you should know in case you ever visit:

Save all manner of bacon grease. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.

Just because one can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can't stay home the two days of the year it snows.

If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four-wheel-drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way: This is what they live for.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and fishing bait in the same store.

Remember: "Y'all" is singular.

"All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

There is nothing sillier than a northerner imitating a Southern accent, unless it is a Southerner imitating a Boston accent.

People walk slower here.

Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "Big ol'", as in "big ol' truck" or "big ol' boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new southern influenced dialect with this expression. One hundred percent are in denial about it.

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

"He needed killin'" is a valid defense here.

If attending a funeral in the South: remember, we stay until the last shovel of dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.

If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.

Most Southerners do not use turn signals, and they ignore those who do. In fact, if you see a signal blinking on a car with a southern license plate, you may rest assured that it was on when the car was purchased.

Northerners can be identified by the spit on the inside of their car's windshield that comes from yelling at other drivers.

The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the tiniest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It does not matter if you need anything from the store, it is just something you're supposed to do.

Tornadoes and Southerners going through a divorce have a lot in common. In either case, you know someone is going to lose a trailer.

Florida is not considered a Southern state (except Gainesville). There are far more Yankees than Southerners living there.

As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.

You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yup
    Definitely
    I know the guys in the truck, offer to pay for the beer and they're friends for life
    sadly, true
    English professors have a hard time with this
    and this one
    Specifically a Wisconsin accent is the funniest of all
    It's not our fault we're bowlegged!
    this is definitely true
    I have friends like that
    no proper spelling down here, either
    Most states try to do away with the death penalty, ours is trying to put in an express lane...
    6 feet is a lot of dirt
    Learned this one the hard way
    This is perhaps the most annoying thing we do down here
    that's disgusting but true
    I was wearing a short sleaved shirt during finals last December
    Grocery store=town hall
    That just described one side of my family
    I don't get that one
    John Deere?! By God, it's International Harvester or bust around my neck of the woods.
    Take my word for it, just don't ask directions.

To actually adress the topic, what kind of horn are you looking for again? Legit, lead, etc?

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Marc,

Laugh..I nearly bought a drink!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Trevor

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right tootsall...

Things you should know in case you ever visit:

Save all manner of bacon grease. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.

No problem. Heck, I'll bring the bacon with the grease!

Just because one can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can't stay home the two days of the year it snows.

Sounds good to me, I get tired of driving to work in blizzards.

If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four-wheel-drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way: This is what they live for.

I don't run into ditches. And you know what they say about 4 WD? They just get stuck deeper.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and fishing bait in the same store.

Sounds like home.

Remember: "Y'all" is singular.

"All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

What's "Hell, y'all"?

There is nothing sillier than a northerner imitating a Southern accent, unless it is a Southerner imitating a Boston accent.

Ah cain't he'p it. Ah've lived so many places already I jes natchurly fall into the local dialect.

People walk slower here.

I expect at 110 degrees I wouldn't be running any marathons neither.

Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "Big ol'", as in "big ol' truck" or "big ol' boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new southern influenced dialect with this expression. One hundred percent are in denial about it.

Whut?

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

"He needed killin'" is a valid defense here.

If attending a funeral in the South: remember, we stay until the last shovel of dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.

If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.

Most Southerners do not use turn signals, and they ignore those who do. In fact, if you see a signal blinking on a car with a southern license plate, you may rest assured that it was on when the car was purchased.

Northerners can be identified by the spit on the inside of their car's windshield that comes from yelling at other drivers.

The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November.

It's October here... 78 deg F today. I'll be using A/C on the way home tonight.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the tiniest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It does not matter if you need anything from the store, it is just something you're supposed to do.

Long as the grocery store stocks beer, that's cool.

Tornadoes and Southerners going through a divorce have a lot in common. In either case, you know someone is going to lose a trailer.

Ahhhh....you have a point with that one.

Florida is not considered a Southern state (except Gainesville). There are far more Yankees than Southerners living there.

As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.

We got 'em here too. This IS farm country.

You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.

You mean like...."This road is suddenly damn icy...we must be at the ridge."?

Great laugh, Marc. I needed that today. Sort of reminds me of the Kaintucky Dickshunary someone once gave me when I was down that-a-way.

10. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Man, I'm enjoying this thread! I thought Austin had been invaded by the Yankees too---guess not. Actually, a lot of the comments sounds like where I live, especially the four guys in a 4WD with a 12 pack and tow chain! Heck, I'm driving! :D

Bill