New Hub van Laar Bb trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Veldkamp, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    After some serious testing by top lead- and jazz trumpetplayers in the Netherlands we've concluded Hub van Laar created a new Bb trumpet that works very well in big band/jazz and the pop scene.

I've been asked by Hub to test some new models made by him and find a good combination which will function well as a leadhorn but also is suited for more classical stuff or jazzsolos. The goal was to get a mix of the Calicchio and the Bach feeling. A lot of projection and sizzle when playing high but also a nice warm sound when playing soft. The slotting and intonation of the notes is very good, also in the high register. The valves are very fast and are the only part Hub doesn't make himself (Bauerfeind valves like Eclipse trumpets, Thein, Straub and Schagerl). It's a lightweight horn but heavier as a Calicchio 1s2 and lighter as a standard Bach ML37, bore size is also inbetween the 2 horns but the horns feels more open as a Bach ML37. Because Hub makes everything himself he can adapt the horn to your needs.

After playing for so many years Bach and Calicchio and buying and testing a lot of horns, and the last year on my Bach Mt.Vernon I can now say it found his competitor !

Hub also makes some very good flugelhorns (played by Chuck Findley for instance) and very good C-trumpets played by the trumpetplayers of The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. So I'm pleased to say I'll will be playing Hub's horns as soon as he has finished them.

For more info : www.hubvanlaar.com and on my site.

[​IMG]

2. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Dear friend,
    This trumpet picture looks mighty impressive. I hope you have a great time.

3. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    yeah...it looks mean!...like one of those axes that eyeballs you all the time and says, 'i can play this stuff, how 'bout you?'

dj

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Good looking trumpet.

Calicchio 1s/7, Bach 37 and Bauerfeind valves. You've got to find something in that combination that you like!!

Regards,

Trevor