New Lead Pipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SAS, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    My Buescher is on the way back from Charlie's Brassworks. He did such a great job on it, that I thought I should send my old high school 1983 King 601s in for a new lead pipe. I'd like to upgrade it, if possible...maybe make it darker sounding or something.

Recommendations on lead pipes, if any? Where do I get them and what would fit that horn...?

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I would explain what you want to Charlie and trust in his judgement and expertise......

3. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Yeah, a new silver OEM pipe is like $80. Not sure if putting a pro level pipe on that would be lipstick on a pig or what.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I always wonder why people want to pimp horns. I mean if it isn't the sound one wants, why spend more money to make it something that it isn't? If Charlie is restoring the horn it will be a top Buescher which has an excellent palette of colors. What is missing in your collection SAS is a Bach or Bach clone. None of your horns has the "core" that a Bach does and it would broaden the tonal colors that you have available. After that, a Selmer K-Modified would expand the palette in the other direction - to peal paint or turn milk sour!

5. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    An upgraded lead pipe on a King isn't exactly a pimped out horn. Charlie says his #1 lead pipe would make the response, intonation and give it a bigger sound. It's a $20 or $30 dollar difference between his lead pipe and the stock one.

The Buescher is done and already on the way back to me. The horn I'm talking about is my silver King that my mother bought me when I was a kid, and I'm teaching my son to play it and the lead pipe on it is shot, so it needs a new one anyway.

I'd love to try a Bach... but also every other horn in existence because I'm a trumpet freak, like everyone else here. haha

6. Davidcat

Davidcat New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Recently I substitued one midle pipe fom one stomvi mambo, keeping mpc receiver and cilindrical pipe, I fixed one, same inside diameter in both extremes but different conical distribution along the pipe than original. As a cheap spare, brass in the new pipe is thinner than stomvi, whic leapipe is thick and heavier,

The result is positive, i never can't manage the mambo, until now, with the cheap thin pipe is more flexible and don't punish every single bad executed note.

Have good times.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Because sometimes it works. You can hit the spot by trying alternate leadpipes by attaching them alongside the original one first without having to make a permanent installation, for instance, then replace the original with the one that works better, and end up with a very nice horn without having to go on a trumpet safari. Sure, you're going on a leadpipe safari instead, but you're playing with less money, and, unlike Dr. Frankenstein, you can always reverse the change later if you want.

gordonfurr1 likes this.
  8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well said..and the idea of trying several before installing I have not considered!

9. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I agree with J. Jericho. If you said that about a pile of brass parts, or a beat up, junked horn, you would never have a custom pro horn, or a working horn at all! Is it worth the 80 some buck to try making the horn darker? Or should he go out and waste his money on a brand new horn that is dark? The horn can change, you can make it different.

10. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    The current leadpipe in the horn now is shot. To replace it with a new silver OEM leadpipe (parts) is $80.

To replace it with a custom leadpipe (parts $110).

That's a $30 dollar difference, so my question is, Why the hell not? The initial post question here was to ask if anyone had a source for leadpipes and parts, not to debate whether I'm justified in replacing my worn out, pitted, hole-ridden OEM leadpipe. There is no pimping going on, there is no fancy wancy stuff...I am just replacing a worn out leadpipe that is 32 years old and wanted to look at aftermarket options.