New Lead Pipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SAS, Mar 12, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I haven't tried all leadpipe and horn combinations, but to be honest have had no success with true "improvements". Different, yes, better, no. The hard part is a fair test. A leadpipe with braces soldered responds far differently than one without.

I have 4 after market leadpipes for my Bach 229HCL - and keep coming back to the original. I am currently trying a shortened Bb leadpipe on the C because with the tuning bell modification, I needed to move the sweet spot and that required a LONGER pipe. I still am using a standard Bach pipe. All of the aftermarket pipes destroyed the Bach core - which is what I bought the horn for.

2. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    So you're suggesting that I just replace it with the OEM stock leadpipe? My King is a 1983 model. I wonder if the "replacement" stock leadpipes from King are even close to the original on it now. I wouldn't have had this problem if I hadn't given my horn to an inexperienced shop who put it into ultrasound. This is the same shop that wanted $200 to put a brace back on my 1920 gold plated Beuscher cornet and told me it was "company policy" to put it through the ultrasound. I laughed and sent it to Charlie who fixed it for $65. Anyway, I have a pitted leadpipe with a hole in it on my silver King now...so it has to be replaced and the only shop I trust with it is Charlie's.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Just ask Charlie for his suggestion.

4. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    I did...he didn't really give me an opinion either way, but said one of his customs might work if it will fit my receiver, etc. There might not be any other options, so this might be moot.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Or use one of his customs with HIS receiver...I'd just flip backwards before I'd pay $80 for a NOS King 600 leadpipe. CRAP, I could buy a whole 600 trumpet in EXCELLENT condition for that. I just enjoy tweaking (and I guess running the risk of twerking) instruments. I enjoy sensing the effects.

6. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Almost, the 601 silvers (sold listings) on ebay are average btw $170-280. Brass ones are in that $80-150 range. But I wouldn't buy one because it wouldn't be worth anything to me. This horn is worth a lot to me because of the memories and experiences I had with it, winning my first 1st chair with it in junior high and awards, etc...31 years ago. It's like an old friend who needs a knee replacement. haha

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ah yes...hmm. I completely understand.
    Being silver plated I guess raises another issue...Will not the soldering damage the plating where it is heated? I guess you are not going to replate afterwards. Makes me wonder.....hmmmm.....I WONDER how horrible a ginger use of epoxy to install instead of soldering...
    Ah well THAT question will get the critical tongues wagging.

8. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    I think it is done all the time without issues with the plating. You should see the great job Charlie did on my gold plated cornet brace re-solder. Looks like new.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Indeed it does. You have identified the fly in the ointment. I have found that secure clamping during the testing process can reduce the difference, however.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On my C trumpet I now have 2 braces between the leadpipe and valves. My point was more that a quality horn is normally designed balanced. Changing the leadpipe only serves to "unbalance" the horn. Skill can help us get lucky, but it is luck when we call the shots.