New - Lynn Nicholson Video Clinic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RussellDDixon, Feb 25, 2015.

1. RussellDDixon

RussellDDixon New Friend

Jan 16, 2015
    REVIEW - Lynn Nicholson of Las Vegas , Nevada has now given us all a wonderful gift. He has released a full 45 minute trumpet clinic on video where he explains how he and Maynard Ferguson both play(ed) entitled “Got High Notes”? Lynn covers everything within this video including the mouthpiece (big vs. small); the trumpet; the player; air compression (direction, amount needed for playing); the tensionless embouchure (relaxed chops); the embouchure anchor point; aggressively experimenting with concepts; using just the rim of a mouthpiece in your practice; correct playing posture; learning to pace oneself; physical exercise; his own chop problems; a very funny MF story and myths; Bud Brisbois; Lynn demonstrates plenty on his large-bore Bach and Lynn Nicholson Model Monette Prana with a 19 throat !!! Personally, (having viewed the video) I am excited about studying Lynn’s Video and working on his protocol.

Here is Lynn’s Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9KI9E1knk

Lynn does not waste one minute of this Maynard Ferguson Protocol Video. He is either explaining or demonstrating the entire 45 minutes. After speaking with different trumpet world friends, Lynn has decided to release this video for a one week rental at $59.00 per week; or $99.00 for a three month rental. Most told him he was low-balling himself on these prices. His response, “I want to help people and we (Slawa) and I are not greedy people.”

Many do not know of Lynn’s back-ground. He was accepted to Berkley Scholl of Music in Boston; began performing with Maynard at 19 years of age; he also performed with Buddy Rich; the Toshiko Akiyoshi / Lew Tabackin Big Band; CHASE; as well as much playing in the Vegas scene where many got to know him and his playing. Roger Ingram has called Lynn’s Double C … the loudest he has ever heard.
    I have an entire web page dedicated to Lynn on my website at TrumpetPlayersDirectory.com where I have also taken the liberty to offer up Jake Sommers (audio) interview with Lynn.

From Lynn …

“Greetings!
    Have just completed a very concise and clearly articulated trumpet video discussing the playing protocol used by Maynard Ferguson and myself. "Got High Notes?" is now published on Vimeo On Demand. There are two rental periods available of the identical video:

A one week stream for the curious and a 3 month stream for the serious...... Here are the links:

Serious:
    $99 USD 3 months
    unlimited stream

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/31871

Curious:
    $59 USD one week
    unlimited stream

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/31870

Brassman64 likes this.
  2. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    I posted his link as well. I took a lesson from him while I was in Vegas 4 years ago. His stuff works. I practice with just the rim and it gets results. I would recommend to anyone check it out.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might add, actually if you hold the trumpet in the same manner as Lynn --- you will find it greatly reduces the pressure on your lips, and of course, you play better

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A visualizer is easier to hold, but otherwise is just a rim.

5. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    Hi there,
    I took a lesson from Lynn in Vegas a few years ago. For me, it was just an incredible experience. Lynn is a great guy, and knows how to teach. I had developed an embouchure problem and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Lynn used the rim and he discovered my set was high and off to the right. I had about 2/3 upper lip and 1/3 lower lip which was causing the air to bounce off of the cup and actually kind of back up. Using the rim and a mirror, I set my chops where they should be and my problem was corrected. After a week I was back to normal. The problem had a bad impact on my endurance, and after the correction I was fine once again. I also bought the Lynnflex mouthpiece from Stomvi. I use the 4.5 coupler which sets the annulus gap. That also makes a huge difference. I have nothing but good things to say about Lynn and his methods. He has this down. If you want to learn from one of the best look at Lynns Facebook page. It's only about a hundred bucks to buy his stuff. How many times have spent a hundo or more on a mouthpiece that now resides in the box of useless mouthpieces. This is money much better spent.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...b.100004206160826&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Mike Fesi

Brassman64 likes this.
  6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi read your interesting review of Lynn tell me what does that mean playing just the rim of mouthpiece " thank you An:play:thony

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Ok got it watched video see what he means about rim of m.p. thanks Anthony

8. lynn9544

lynn9544 New Friend

Mar 5, 2015
    Brassman64 and Vulgano Brother like this.
  9. RussellDDixon

RussellDDixon New Friend

Jan 16, 2015
    Welcome to Lynn Nicholson ("lynn9544") ... thank you for joining us Lynn ! For those not familiar with Lynn he was playing in Maynard's band at 19 years of age. Lynn also performed with the Buddy Rich Big Band, the Toshiko Akiyoshi / Lew Tabackin Big Band, the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Big Band, CHASE and in Las Vegas.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    have good posture and good air flow also ----- I haven't figured out the earmuffs yet --- ROFL ROFL ROFL