new marine who hasn't played in over 6 months

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raymo, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    Ima 20 yr old who just joined the marines and i havent hardly touched my trumpet in over 6 months. I would just like to have the advice of any former marines or current marines who could help me out in finding a way to play my horn. Right now i reside in student barracks where i would find it impossible to play. So if anyone knows a way i can start back up while livin in the barracks.

2. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    For close quarters practice - you could get a practice mute - muffles the sound pretty well. Also if you have the funds - could get the Yamaha Silent Mute system - mute with pickup in it that attaches to a small battery powered amp that you clip on your belt - and plays through earplugs - a bit of wires on you - but also quiet for those around you. I have the Denis Wick practice mute - there are other good brands out there besides his.

Best of luck and thanks for serving your country.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    JO-Ral also makes a pretty good practice mute. The only problem with practice mutes is, at least for me, there seems to be a great amount of back pressure.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The Brass Spa practice mute is pretty good and inexpensive, but I'm not sure I'd use it in a barraks because it's a little louder than others. It has almost no back pressure, though, and is very in tune. I use it in my house early in the morning, but would only take a Silent Brass into a hotel or barraks.

5. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    wow your a marine???? So does that like mean you joined the US Army or something? What do you do ?

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Silly boy! He's a Marine because he joined the Marines, which belong to the Department of the Navy. I'm a Sailor because I joined the Navy! :lol:

7. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    thats still pretty cool. What do marines do?

8. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
    Schwab likes this.
  9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Semper Fi, Raymo and Anchors Aweigh, Flugelgirl!

Thank you for serving.

I'll bet there's a place on base, Raymo, where no one hangs out much and if you respectfully ask your CO or sarge if they could help, you might get what you need. Places like storerooms, bunkers, etc.

When I was a sailor during the Vietnam era, there were several spaces on the ship (a destroyer) where I could shut myself in and make all the "racket" (nothing implied, you two) I wanted.

BTW - My current profession of Systems Administrator began with my Navy electronic schooling. And some of my best life lessons came from my shipboard life.

Mason - It never hurts to Google something about which you are curious. The US Marines are famous for being the elite fighting machine delivered into combat by the US Navy. Usually first on the scene, they were instrumental in our winning many a critical engagement of WWII. Google Iwo Jima and you will find a very famous photo of 5 US Marines and a Navy corpsman (hospital medic) raising the US flag during the heat of battle. It may be the most famous war photo ever. I would be surprised if you've never seen it.

My brother-in-law began his musical career at West Point, playing oboe. He recently retired from the principal chair of the LA Philharmonic. If I am not mistaken, trumpeter Malcolm McNab (album Exquisite - a mind blower), also played in that West Point band. Certainly many a fine performer got a "leg up" playing in US service bands. So there is a musical tradition in every branch and your superiors should be amenable to your wanting to practice.
    veery

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    If you have a band where you are stationed, you can always ask to use a practice room occasionally, too. Some bands have more limited space than others and may say no, but it can't hurt to ask.