new marine who hasn't played in over 6 months

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raymo, Nov 6, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
  2. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    its good but i dont want to join army i want to join AFP

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mason,
    I don't think the Australian Federal Police (AFP) have a band (I'm assuming you wish to continue with your music), but both the NSW Police and the Victorian Police both have very good ensembles, if you wish to head that way. The NSW Police also have a Pipe Band (my younger brother is a member) - interestingly they have no serving policemen on the membership.

4. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    no not join the band. I didnt play the trumpet to become the next miles davis its just a hobbie, i dont know what i want to do with my trumpet. But i want to join the AFP as a criminal psychologist.

5. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Mason,

Marines were originally ship-born soldiers, musketeers etc. that helped with ship-to-0ship fighting from around the 1500's I believe and as a ground based force. Hence the name marine. From the Sea. Plenty of wonder ful Birtish and other history behind that. The modern marine evolved between the time of the US. Civil War, Boer War, Spanish American War and WWI to become sort of shock troops, sea-born to lead an invasion and create beacheds, etc. for Army Infrantry etc. The next evolution was the paratrooper, the airborne answer to getting troops rapidly deployed to hot spots where a shore landing was not feasible.

6. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    ah ok. thats good info. I didn't know all that history bit.

7. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    OOOORAH! Semper Fi Devil Dog! Hey Marine! I was a Corpsman and as a trumpeter, I played outside, away from the barracks, even when I went to FMSS at Camp LeJeune. Then, I would practice late at night on the command deck of 1st Med Battalion when I transferred to Camp Pendelton. I also played with General Lynch's band at FSSG Headquartes and did shows with him off and on, (the only corpsman in the group) and I also played special services for retirements, change of command ceremonies, Morning and Evening Colors, Funerals. . . . . I did them in Alphas and Charlies (as I was Marine Reg Doc in those days) and I had more pride and excitement for being not only a trumpeter but also as a corpsman to do such a honor for my fellow Marines and Sailors.

Some of my best memories of the Corps came from playing my horn for them. I took my horn with me Somalia during Restore Hope, and would practice in the Med Tent when i was company Corpsman for the Bulk Fuel Co.

Years later, I reenlisted after having broken service and became a journalist and I was assigned to an aircraft carrier. I would practice in the hangor bay in the evenings. I was told that the Skipper would go to the Conflag Station in hangor bay three and turn on the mics in there so he could hear me practice. I also was recruited to play for burials at sea.

I always found a way to play. Your fellow Marines should be supportive, most times they are, and your superiors will exploit your talent for various ceremonies, that will give you respect as you honor your service and countrymen.

thanks for serving our country Devil Dog! stay safe and keep in touch!

Brian
    "Doc Hess"

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Brian - look at the post dates - this quite an old thread, but certainly worth the read. I wonder how those practice sessions are going?

9. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    yeah, i didn't realize until after I posted it, but for some reason the thread was up front in the forum, so I just left it anyway, thought it might grap his attention and perhaps spark a conversation.

Brian:dontknow:

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    First things first, less talking and more doing - get the necessary stuff to keep your horn in order, then get either a practice mute, or better yet, a Yamaha Silent Brass setup (better because you can pick up some play-along materials that you can mix in, which will make it more fun) and then get to work.

As far as where and when, you should be able to do stuff like this in barracks areas like the day room (that's what the Army calls it's rec room) or whatever space you have. And I were in your shoes, I'd seriously look into getting over the band hall if there is a Marine band on the base where you are stationed, do like Flugelgirl suggested and see if you can be allowed to use some of their practice rooms or practice areas. At the worst they say 'no.' Better, they say 'yes.' Even better, maybe you can OJT (on the job train) and actually transfer to the band and be a musician for the US Marine Corps.