New Master in Mouthpiece design: DONAT

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by loil, Sep 2, 2017.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Try a Schilke. Just about the same but with a more comfortable rim.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You should try a Curry 3C. Sort of like a Bach 3C, but with a better sound and more comfortable rim. Pretty inexpensive, too.

Acludwig1 likes this.
  3. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    Maybe I'll check that out. Thanks for
    the suggestion!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK. Then there is the Kanstul G2 (Miles Copy of his Gustat-Heim) Here is a cut with me using it. Check out the flexibility of sound I am able to achieve with this. I start each solo as dark as I can (while still trying to project volume over my high energy rhythm section), then listen to how it lights up my Martin Committee in the upper range:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-296675506/aliiyah

Peter McNeill likes this.
  5. wiemelen

wiemelen New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Belgium
    I'm just an occasional flugelhorn player using a Curry mouthpiece which I like very much. Would love to try out some of Flips mouthpieces. The Curry I use is kinda middle of the road. When I need a lighter sound, I use the B&S Thierry Caens mouthpiece. But I'm still looking a nice mouthpiece (NO Denis Wicks) that can give me an even darker, sweet sound (although not too airy). Unfortunately, brands like GR, Flip Oakes, Curry or Kanstul are not available to test play in Europe and funds are not unlimited :)

The Donat trumpet mouthpiece I bought is currently being used by a fellow trumpet player.
    Don't think I will be getting it back any time soon ... he's loving it even more than I do :D

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I always thought a "magic mouthpiece" was the current one that someone was trying to sell me. ;)

More seriously, very nice video posted by loil.

Mike

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey Mike, he comes to NYC for a tour in January. I am trying to get him to post his dates... if I can swing it, perhaps we can make this venue together... Maybe Christophe will be able to get us back stage passes and we can have our own international trumpet hang!

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This would be fun.

Mike

gmonady likes this.
  9. loil

loil Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2008
    Marseille, France
    Hi folks
    Many thanks for your support!

[​IMG]

'I'll be playing @ Smalls Jazz Club/ Jan 15 and Joe's Pub/ Jan 16. Plus one more venue à Astral/ Montreal/ Jan 18
    Hope to see some of you there so we can hang!

TrumpetMD likes this.