New Maurice André recordings on youtube

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Apr 12, 2015.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  2. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  3. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Mm. Can't say it's my kind of music (or something I would have associated with M Andre of all people). But as could be expected, beautiful sound and technique. Thanks for posting.

4. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Maurice played just about anything, if they paid him well enough... he even (for a short time) endorsed Scherzer rotary piccs, and had the audacity to use one in concert without having tried it out first... it was a total shambles... (I was there).
    For many years, Maurice financed his holidays by playing lead in a dance band on cruise ships... and if you listen to hi recordings from the 1970s and 80s, you'll find that he was an avid player of Muck (not Rudi)... apart from all the Baroque stuff.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I do hope you're not referring to André Jolivet.....

6. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    You probably know this already - More Maurice Andre on flugelhorn. I had this record as a kid but never realized that he was playing the flugel on this track! He sounded equally mellifluous on anything from a piccolo to a B-flat trumpet. Until today I didn't even know that he ever touched the flugelhorn! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od9Ys0ueiJk
    I must say that I much prefer Sergei Nakariakov's flugelhorn sound. You could never mistake that for a B-flat trumpet.

7. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Definitely not; I am referring to all kinds of sentimental pop songs in even more sentimental arrangements.

8. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, you must consider the dramatic development of the flugelhorn within the time span elapsed since then... In the 70s and early 80s in Europe, most flugelhorns were narrow-bore by comparison to today's instruments, usually just in use for the 1st melody part in military music and therefore needed to be able to support the high register and be playable in the high register for a long time. Trumpet sounds were generally much sharper than today, this being due to the narrower bores then in use. Maurice André was the pioneer who changed all that - with the result that sometimes, you cannot decide whether he was playing extra mellow on a cornet or normally on a flugelhorn.
    At the same time, trumpet players generally still sounded like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-l68eq4m-A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSyN810YqfQ

Both recordings by Adolf Scherbaum.