New Maynard Award

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skip, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    I propose that a new award be started, the "Maynard", a gold statuette of MF, similar to the Oscar, that be given out at ITG each year to the most deserving young person (? under 15 YO), that exhibits the most promising up & coming new talent in many areas (to be determined), such as the most innovative, artistic, best in sound, skills, range, etc. to honor Maynard & his life long promotion of education, & to honor and recognize new players & promote trumpet playing in general.

2. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    maynard award

I Love It!!!

3. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    I just have a slight problem with the proposed age limit. 15 seems to be too young to have a focus on innovation and range vice fundamental skills.

4. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Fudleysmith,

I agree with you. That's why I had a "?" before the 15. I'm sure that there are & will be persons under 15 that would qualify, but a higher age limit, maybe 18, would allow more in the bell curve of both choices & "maturity" of abilities.

The details should be decided by powers greater than I. I'm just suggesting & proposing this new award to honor both MF & the up & coming talented players.

God speed.

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Age thing...

What a lovely idea. The age limit is a problem. I would agree 15 is pretty young - even 18. I might go with 21. However, even as I type this, I ponder how old Maynard was when he led his first big band or how old he was when he was on the road with Charlie Barnett!

Things to make you go, "hmmmmm..."

Nick

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Why worry about any age limit? If the kid has the most talent, we have a winner. I've heard recordings (as I'm sure all of you have) of Faddis as a kid. WOW!